Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you get one of the yellow colored Julie’s, they will have that yellow splash of color.

I love Julie’s. I currently have 3 Julidichromis Regaini ’Black‘ variety in a tang tank. One pair, and a 3rd wheel. I bought 4 to start. They did nothing but battle from the moment I put them in the tank. 1 died within 2 days. The boss Regaini (believed to be a female) kept the other two on the opposite side of the tank. She has a nice large rock structure and there is a smaller rock structure on the other side.

Over the next month, one of the two moved in with the boss. I haven’t seen fry yet. The pair tend to stay in their cave a lot. The 3rd wheel has made a home on the opposite side of the tank in his rock cave. He has terraformed it to his liking. Have several in and outs. Likes to poke his head out of one of the cave entrances and watch the comings and goings of the aquarium. I see him more than the other two combined. They do like their seclusion, so if you want a fish out all the time, they are not the ones for you, but very interesting in there own way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Northfin did just come out with a new Cichlid flake that looks good. Sera makes top quality pellet and flake. New Life Spectrum makes excellent pellet (haven’t seen a flake from them), that is a popular pellet. Most pellet can be had in a small size. For smaller fish though, I do prefer feeding flake to pellet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
All six arrived alive and are acclimating in the ship bag now. Ammonia and nitrite presently read zero. Water is still cloudy just not as bad as it was early yesterday.
Since you do not currently have anything in the tank, the ammonia and nitrite should be zero. The issue will arise once you get the fish in the tank, and have that constant ammonia releasing going on. Will the tank be able to convert the ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. In my experience it takes around a week or two for the ammonia to nitrite process to kick in. The nitrite to nitrate is longer, somewhere around a month, so somewhere around six weeks total. This is with or without the QuickStart added. The process will take longer doing multiple water changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts