Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 75 gallon tank and stand with some accessories, all for 275 bucks off craiglist! Little bit of some calcium residue, but nothing a little CLR can't fix. What I was wondering, is do I need the styrafoam/egg crate bottom of the tank so it won't crack? Or will it just be fine with the sand and rocks.

Also, how long will it take to complete the nitrogen cycle for a 75 about?

Thanks everyone :fish: :fish: :fish:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I don't use eggcrate. Tank size doesn't matter re: eggcrate.

Nor does it matter re: cycling. Fishless cycling can take 4-8 weeks. If you seed a filter with existing bacteria (put it on an existing, cycled tank) for a few days - people usually recommend a couple weeks, here, to be safe - it will be "instantly" cycled when you add fish and the seeded filter.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
I do Styrofoam under the tank, unless you have a stand or cabinet that only supports the outer frame of the tank. A sheet of Styrofoam is cheap, there is no disadvantage I know of, and I love to have peace of mind regarding point pressure from dirt between the tank and stand.

I don't put eggcrate in the tank, because I don't like the way it looks when the fish expose it through digging. I also don't think it's necessary. I always pile tons of rocks in my tanks and never had one crack. That said, lots of people like the peace of mind eggcrate gives them, and there is certainly nothing wrong with using it.

Do you have other tanks already? If so, you can use them to seed this one with bacteria and save a lot of cycling time.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I have another tank, I have 2 emperor 400's that I cleaned and the tank that I cleaned today for almost 10 hours, no joke haha. I had to scrape this calcium and stuff off it then take it outside in the 23 degree snowy weather and hose it off and soak it until I felt it was completely clear of all the chemicals, but there is still a slight stain on the top of the tank, any ideas on how to get rid of it?

Besides the point, I have a stand that only supports the frame of the tank, so the sheet of styrofoam wouldn't work, but thanks for your input on the egg crates in the tank fmueller.

Also, I'm going to put one of the emperors in my 29 I have established for a few months now, and then after, a few days put it in the new 75, then do it again with the other. How many days should I keep the 400's in the 29 until they are "seeded"?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Some people will recommend 2-4 weeks. I've done it overnight. Longer is probably better, but as long as you monitor water chemistry, you don't need to worry too much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts