Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally stocked my tank this week. Ultimately I hope to have a breeding pair of gold severum and a breeding pair of blue acara. I started with 5 unsexed juveniles of each. To round out the tank I have 12 Buenos Aires Tetras and 10 cory cats. I have artificial plants, cihclid stones for caves and a couple of other artificial natural looking items on black sand. I have two Emperor 400 filters which I pre-cycled on my other tanks. Tested the water several times a day. Had a slight nitrite spike but no ammonia. Double dosed prime to neutralize. So far all survived transport from Blue Grass Aquatics.

·
Registered
373 Posts
sounds cool, but how big do buenos get?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Between 2-3 inches and relatively full bodied. Not that big but big enough not to become food for the Severum.

·
Registered
373 Posts
oh, cool. I don't think severums are ball-sy enough to go after one. I was thinking about putting these with my angels in a 29 gallon, but they are too big :/ do you know anything about the Flame Tetra?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. I will say this about the BA Tetras, they add a lot of movement to the tank and appear to be excellent dither fish so far.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Alright, cool. I think they would be a little big for my 29 gallon though, but that sounds cool for my oscar!

·
Registered
697 Posts
scarhbar said:
Alright, cool. I think they would be a little big for my 29 gallon though, but that sounds cool for my oscar!
BA tetras will end up in your oscars belly. Tetras are best kept in shoals of 10 or more, so that many in 29 would be a bit much.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Oh no, I mean in a 55. And you're right, I was thinking fish over 3 inches wouldn't be eaten, but its 4 inches

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right. They are way too small for Oscars. You could get a nice school in a 55 but not with most cichlids except maybe rams or other dwarf species.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Oh alright, so would you recommend this setup then?
1 angelfish
5 flame tetras (1.5 inches)
5 peppered cories (2 inches)

All in a 29 gallon? I am keeping the angel either way, but I would remove the tetras or cories if it is too small

·
Registered
352 Posts
dougrhon, so where's the pics of your new fish? :wink:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Can you answer my question, dougrhon?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be honest I don't think five is sufficient for any schooling species. So I would say no on the tetras. You could go 10-12 tetras or maybe 10 corys. I am not sure about this but it's my guess. I am very down on keeping schooling fish in smaller than minimal schools. I would probably just have the large school of tetras. Unless they are small enough to be prey for the Angel. I haven't kept Angels so I know nothing about them. That's the reason I didn't answer your question at first. I don't know the answer but I'm sure others do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts