Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!
I am new to this forum and this is my first time posting.
I have been reading a lot of good info from this forum and thats why I decided to join.
I currently have a 75g with a older xp2 canister filter. I only have a few small community fish in there currently. It's a pretty uneventful and boring setup. The substrate is a layer of
Eco-complete with a layer of larger river rocks type gravel over top.
I am wanting to convert to a male peacock tank. I'm hoping this would make for a MUCH more desirable tank to look at. With all that being said I have a few questions and areas i need some advice.
1. My substrate. I'm thinking I will need to replace my current setup as the larger gravel and the Eco complete underneath would make it hard from them to move through it as well as a mess when/if they get down into the Eco complete. Suggestions on type?
2. Filter. My current xp2 is working fine. I know I need more filtration so I was thinkimg of buying another xp2 or xpm I think that's what there called now. Do you guys think that would be enough? Also would you recommend putting same media setup in both? I don't really want a hob, but if it's highly recommend I would go that way.
3. Power heads? Is yes what locations are best, top of water making waves or down low helping with debris settlement or both?
Thanks in advance for everyone comments and advice. I will definitely have more question when I get pass this 1st stage of setup. If I'm messing something please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

The ideal substrate for Africans is pool filter sand.

You want your GPH (gallons per hour) to total 8X to 10X hourly. I would add another XP filter...check the GPH of your current filter and buy the size XP you would need to get at least 8X total.

I see no need for power heads. I prefer to have additional filtration to go along with my water movement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have started looking into using sand substrate,but have a couple more filter questions.
1.I currently have a xp2 which is rated at 300gph I know that probably a little high. If I add another the same size that should give around 650-700gph? With a 75g tank with substrate and decor it's around 60-65g that should give 10x per hour. Am I missing something or not looking at this correctly?
2. I was looking at sunsun hw303 which has a little more flow than API and another media shelf. Thinking of maybe buy one now and whiching out old API later. Thoughts on these units?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Math seems good. 300 gal per hour x 2 = 600. 600 divided by 75 = 8. I don't usually allow for rocks and substrate in the calculation, if you do; turnover closer to 10. I'd say you are okay either way - subject to fish quantity and frequency of water changes. I use AquaClears so cannot help on other brands.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I do not reduce the gallons by water displaced by rocks. For a 75G I like 750 GPH. No experience with the sunsuns. The XP filters are easier to clean than Eheim...less expensive and all parts are interchangeable. I would get another XP filter and have 2 filters...I have 2 on all my tanks larger than 55G.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
I do not reduce the gallons by water displaced by rocks. For a 75G I like 750 GPH. No experience with the sunsuns. The XP filters are easier to clean than Eheim...less expensive and all parts are interchangeable. I would get another XP filter and have 2 filters...I have 2 on all my tanks larger than 55G.
What size XP filter do you use on your 75g?

I also like that replacement parts for these filter are easy to find.

Thanks again for everyones feedback!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts