Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Much is personal choice but for me , hiding some of the equipment might be the first choice. Maybe restacking and moving so that some of it is behind the rocks? For me, I like a more varied group of rocks with round odd shaped as well as the flat kind. Various shapes and sizes make for a good varity of holes and cracks. I like a pile looking like they might have fallen off a bank into the water.

Keep in mind that those are my thoughts only because you asked. They are not intended to change what you may like. =D>

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is another picture of the stand and tank.

I see what you mean though. I do need to hide the heater at least. I'm gonna try some new looks with the rock here in a few weeks. Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thoughts... Great start so far :thumb:

Add a DIY sump to increase your water volume and...

- Give you a place to hide the equipment.

- Add to the total volume of water in the system and provide more water parameter stability.

- Make water changes easier.

I like your rock arrangement. It has good hiding spots for Mbuna. The important thing is that you are happy with it and enjoy working with it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've entertained that idea many a time. Maybe one day. HOB overflow? Or drill the main tank?

·
Registered
250 Posts
pdandy88 said:
I've entertained that idea many a time. Maybe one day. HOB overflow? Or drill the main tank?
A HOB overflow will work fine. It will be easy enough to hide if you paint the BG black. All you need is the single hose and a 500 or 700 GPH mag drive pump. For your sump, you can use an old aquarium (A 55G would probably work great in your case), or a large rubbermade tub. Lots of folks have also used a 5G bucket for the bio media, like I said DIY. Just make sure everything is easily to access for routine maintenance.

I purchased a Wet/Dry sump for several hundred bucks and ended up customizing it anyway to add capacity (The large Rubbermade tub). I could have saved big bucks if I read up a little and just went the DIY route. The extra 40 gallons makes a big difference in stabilizing my tank and giving me a little more time between water changes.

All the fun is in the setup. Once you have it "perfect", it'll be time for a change again :D

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
A word of warning might be worthwhile. Several have found that the Rubbermaid -type is not really made for liquid storage long term. They tend to develope cracks at the bottom corners. You might want to look at the inside with a strong light outside. Not to panic but rather to just be aware of the potential.

·
Registered
250 Posts
PfunMo said:
A word of warning might be worthwhile. Several have found that the Rubbermaid -type is not really made for liquid storage long term. They tend to develope cracks at the bottom corners. You might want to look at the inside with a strong light outside. Not to panic but rather to just be aware of the potential.
Thanks for that head's up. I'm going to eventually swith to a used aquarium when I find a good deal on CL. My issue with the rubbermaid is that I can't see my equipment, but no leaks yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts