Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi fishtycoon11,

Nice birthday present. A pair of Jack Dempseys with giant danios would be cool for that sized tank. I would start off with 4-6 juvi JDs (try to get one male and the rest females), let a pair form as they grow to young adult size, then remove the extra fish once the pair starts spawning and getting aggressive towards their tank mates.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
One question . What's the foot print on the tank?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've never heard of a 56 gallon tank . I'm wondering what the foot print of the tank is as it sounds like keeping a pair of JD's is pushing it . Perhaps some smaller Central American species ? Congrats on the new tank , IMO that is one of the best BDay presents !! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Bamboo said:
I've never heard of a 56 gallon tank . I'm wondering what the foot print of the tank is as it sounds like keeping a pair of JD's is pushing it . Perhaps some smaller Central American species ? Congrats on the new tank , IMO that is one of the best BDay presents !! :thumb:
That's why I asked. I'm thinking its one of those corner bow fronts. If the op would specify the demension we could better address the answer.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The 56 gallon tanks that I've heard of are called column tanks and are short and tall...I think 36" length. But, yeah, if the Op could verify dimensions...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi fishtycoon11,

For decorating the tank a lot depends on your personal preferences. If you don’t mind terracotta pots, they work great as caves for spawning. I use a "strawberry" pot in one of my tanks with Central American cichlids. Otherwise you will have to construct some type of cave like structures from rocks/wood/plastic decorations.

Personally, I prefer to use fake plants; my favorites are large leafed silk plants that I find at the dollar store. I like to use the fake plants to hide filtration/heating equipment and provide hiding places for the dither fish (i.e. giant danios or whatever you choose). They also diffuse the aquarium lights making your cichlids feel more comfortable.

Other decorations I use are large river stones and drift wood. Keep in mind some drift wood will leach tannins into your tank truing it a bit of a tea color until they all leach out with water changes. Tannins are not harmful to fish but can change your water parameters.

Take a look in the tank section of the site for some ideas of things you might like.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
228 Posts
the only odd 56 gallon i know of is shapped like half a stop sign

kinda like a blow front but its front is 3 sheets of glass rather then one bent sheet.

and it was just as long as mt 55gal if not longer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts