Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New 55g tank - please give ideas/comments

18K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  fishboy75 
#1 ·
In the middle of cycling tank, so just substrate and decorations so far.

Running two canister filters. Currently have the intake and return in the corners. Debating a better placement or going with spray bars on each side.

Doing this with kids, so had to have ship wreck and signs.

Plan moving forward is to get a few plants (villisneria and Java fern) and was going to place them around shipwreck and rocks. But worried with the filter returns being so close.

#4 ·
I love it. What kind of fish are you thinking of putting in? This is how I came back into the hobby, got a 55gal for my kids a few years ago and before I knew it had a 180gal and a 450gal.

#6 ·
Here's the cookie cutter setup suggestions for the 55gal which is in the library section:

https://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php

Which canisters are you using? What is your substrate? I have several fake plants grouped together in my 450gal, which I like the look of and the smaller fish like to hang there.

#8 ·
I would do mixed gender in a 55G and 1m:4f of a peacock and the same of a hap.

The haps are mostly blue, I would go with Placidochromis electra.

For a peacock, do you like red or yellow better?

Aulonocara stuartgranti maleri for yellow. Aulonocara stuartgranti rubescens for red.

#13 ·
willyg1631 said:
Planning my new tank and wondering why 2 canisters. Wouldn't one bigger one be less maintenance.
One reason I can think of is having two is a little safer in case one goes down. For both my tanks I have a second return pump, pvp pipe & cement, etc. all set to replace in case the current pump goes down. Due to where I live it's even more important since getting a replacement would take weeks instead of days if I lived in the U.S.

#14 ·
Two canisters rather than one is the better method mainly for avoiding a mini-cycle when you do maintenance. On my 240g I will do one FX5 cleaning one time, then not have to worry about it because the other fx5 is still picking up the slack from the one I just cleaned. Then on the next cleaning I will do the other Fx5. So you alternate which one you clean each time to avoid any mini-cycles.

#18 ·
Tanks looks great! How old are your kids? When mine were 5-7 they were more interested than they are now at 9 - 11. But I guess that's what happens when you have an Xbox. If your kids are on the younger side I would say go with mbuna because they are constantly moving. Maybe a couple more peaceful species like Yellow Labs and Acei. Add some Synodontis Petricola cats and a pair of bristle nose plecos once you get some algae growth. You'll have a nice community and the kids will enjoy watching the Labs produce offspring. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.