Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 55g SA tank in the near future and wanted to know what everyone thinks about this list. It is a modified cookie cutter. I will probably have a Rena XP3 canister on it for filtration.

Discus 4x
Angelfish 4X
cockatoo 4x or ram's 4x (not sure which yet)

It will be quarter to half inch playsand bottom with a 3d background that looks like a tree trunk.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
G'day kingpoiuy,

I think you may run into trouble with the Discus and Anglefish. I have seen them done in combination with each other, but in much larger tanks. I believe a pair of Angelfish may claim up to half your tank as territory if they try to breed.

Personally I think you could try 4 Discus in combination with 4 German blue rams, or 4 Angelfish in combination with 4 Bolivian rams. As for apistogramma species, there are many out there, I would just make certain they can handle the higher temps that Discus require.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for the info. My wife loves the discus so I am just trying to find some decent species that can live with them well. I want it to be close to their natural habitat. I was at the Shedd aquarium last weekend and they had discus with various other species that got me thinking (including parhana!). Of course I want it to be a friendly tank and being 55g it's kinda small.

Keep your opinions flying, the room is under construction and onces its done the tank is going in! Ill put some pics up as I work on it.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
My wife loves the discus so I am just trying to find some decent species that can live with them well. I want it to be close to their natural habitat.
I think once you've done a little research yourself, you'll come to the conclusion that a tank that reflects thier habitat won't necessarily be aesthetically pleasing.

Generally when looking to put together a stock list I start with the cichlid profile from FishBase. Towards the bottom of the page, you'll find a link to Occurrence Records, this is where I start my search for tank mates. Also you can scroll down the search page of FishBase to the search by Information by Ecosystem and click All Fishes found in the Rio *****.

Next site I visit is mongabay.com. It has some real good pages, particularly; Biotope Aquaria Ecosystems and Country Database. These aren't complete lists, but they are a good starting point. They do have a couple of good South American habitat links, though this one better suites Blue discus.

I also visit PlanetCatfish and go to the search function and type in the river where my cichlids come from, for example Rio *****, and find a Cat-e-log link, go to Habitat Information and the Distribution of the catfish and click on the river to bring up a list of all catfish found there.

Finaly you can always do an advanced google search, such as Rio ***** + tetras. Some times you come across a good article or web site such as SimplyDiscus in these searches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts