Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New to the forum, first post. I have a new 55 set up. I originally went with 2 Emperor 400's, but they are way too loud for my liking. My new Eheim 2217 should arrive today or tomorrow. Couple questions...does all the media I will need come with the filter? Should I lubricate the O ring the first time or only later during the first cleaning? About how long to set it up completely from start to finish? I've had fish for most of my life, but first canister filter. I have 4 small African's in the tank now. Won't add any more until I change filters and let it run for a few days.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well I have the Pro III 2075 and only took me about 25 min from opening the box to starting it up. I have had a few canisters prior to this one though. I would allow yourself an hour to be on the safe side.

As far the media mine did come with everything I needed right in the appropriate trays just had to open it up and rinse it off, but agian was the Pro III. The o-rings on mine were fairly well greased up from the factory so I just let them be like that and plan on doing it on my first cleaning.

Lastly as far as adding new fish, I would think you would be ok to add few new ones as long as you plan on letting your Emperors run while getting the new one seeded. You will only be gaining the good bacteria now and again as long as you dont remove the existing filters your right where you would be if you never added a new one and were adding fish. Just be sure to check your water parameters on a regular basis for the first week or so after adding the new guys and doing the appropriate WC's needed. Hope this helped and you will not be disappointed with your new filter!! :thumb:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes all the media comes with the 2217. Setup is a bit confusing but this should help. You need to cut a little bit of the hoses to connect the quick disconnects to the intake and return valve on the canister. No where in the manual says this so I thought I was missing parts when first setting mine up.

Other than that, the 2217 is a great filter.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have 4 emperor 400's on different tanks. When I first got them, they were a little noisy. But after some time they "broke in" and were a lot more quiet. In fact, when the water level is where it should be, you can hardly hear it. Only when the water level drops can you hear the water trickling. On my 55 I have an Emperor 400 and a canister. The Emperor does a real nice job agitating the surface water. Since you spent the money, maybe just run one of them and give it a chance to break in some. Just a thought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am pondering that. The loudness is not the water trickling, but the impeller assembly sounds like it's vibrating. I took it apart and reassembled and it's still loud. It's only be going for 5 days however...maybe it will quiet down some.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
AcuraLover said:
I am pondering that. The loudness is not the water trickling, but the impeller assembly sounds like it's vibrating. I took it apart and reassembled and it's still loud. It's only be going for 5 days however...maybe it will quiet down some.
That's exactly what all of mine did. I went even as far as calling Marineland and they said it's normal and would quiet down after a few weeks and they were right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is a wear in time plus once some of that slime that grows in your filter and hoses also grows on the impeller and helps to lubricate it.

My 2215 was noisy at first but after a little time, I can hardly tell it's running without being right up beside it. Same with any type of filter I've ever had.

Stick with the Eheim, it's a great working rig and will last a long long time.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
you're going to have to cut the big hose twice and the small one 3 times throughout the set-up

once each for the disconnects, once each to adjust the length once set up. and you will need a cut a small ammount of the small hose to set up the spraybar, i felt like I would run out of hose, but there is enough i promise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. Just set up my 2217 and it's running perfectly. Wasn't bad at all. One question, the strainer in the tank is touching the top of my gravel.
Should I cut the tube to shorten it so it's mid level in the tank?

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
i would say give it a couple of inches off the substrate, but not mid level, if it's not sucking up the gravel i almost wouldn't bother, in case you upgrade your tank size

·
Registered
252 Posts
I raised both of mine. I believe I like it better. Love my 2217's.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you don't want to cut it you can flip it around. You may find that the other end gives you a perfect height. Then if you ever upgrade your tank you have your tube in tact still.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like to have mine a good few inches above the gravel in case anything happens to cause the filter to empty the tank. I hope that most of my fish could survive in a few inches of water until I got home :?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts