Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Im gonna be purchasing a used 55 gallon of craigslist. Would post link but the lady took it off. It come with the tank, two filters(forgot due to post removal) but a good brand, a heater, lights and hood and a bucket full of natural gravel and a few other things, all for about 75$!!!!

I was looking for some options on stocking it. I was thinking either and aggressive "wet pet"
or maybe a colony of Geo's with a couple clown loaches if possible.
Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'd suggest dumping the gravel for sand (pool filter sand ftw).

For a wet pet you could do a single male or a pair of jack dempseys. That might be the only one you could have due to a 55's narrow width.

Awesome job on the deal! :thumb: I love scoring great stuff for cheap.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Honestly, most fish that are considered "wet pets" don't really belong in 55's (oscars for example)
If you decide to get geo's, tetras would make better mates than loaches.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Have you looked into Mbunas? You could keep about 10 or 15 in there and it is a lot more pleasing to the eye then 2 jack dempseys.

I will agree Joel, ditch the gravel and clean the filters and rinse the media with water and start to cycle
good luck and post progress.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'd say that could work. Personally, I make an effort to not keep fish that get longer than half the width of the tank. So I wouldn't get anything longer than 6.5".

But everyone here says a pair of Jack Dempseys work in a 55 and the males get 9" so I don't see why Salvini's couldn't work.

Keeping other fish with a wet pet is always tricky but your best bet is to get the loaches before the Salvini's or all at the same time. I'd buy a lot for insurance.

Make sure you have a hospital tank to rescue tank mates too. And find an LFS that will give you money or a trade for them once you heal them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah thats true. I was thinking a trio of calvus, some cyps and maybe a goby. Though the Mbuna idea isnt bad either. My friend has africans and they are pretty entertaining

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay i was planning on the sand lol so could i do a 3-4 calvus, a goby of some sort and some cyps or lelupies? and what about a pleco too?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Gobies and leleupi is probaby not a good idea. Leleupi are not a good idea for any multi species tank that will include any bottom dwelling fish with the same territory requirements as leleupi.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay. Is there a way i could keep the goby with the Calvus and just maybe add some sort of cyps? If not i can live without the goby

again, Thank you

·
Registered
656 Posts
cichlidnewb23 said:
Okay. Is there a way i could keep the goby with the Calvus and just maybe add some sort of cyps? If not i can live without the goby

again, Thank you
You could keep a group of calvus, a few gobies, and 10-15 cyps

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well unfortunately the person i was gonna buy the tank from sold it to someone else :x
So, i maybe getting a 10 or 20 gallon with the money instead. Any ideas on stocking?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Shellies are really your only good fix with that.

Keep your eyes open on craigslist. Don't just check the pet section, do a general search for all items being sold for "aquarium" and then "fish tank" (some posts will be the same but you'd be surprised how many more you'll get searching that way).

Another 55-90 gallon will show up soon for a good price. My CL community sucks but even then there's probably a new uber cheap tank every other week.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, i think i decided to get a couple 10 gallons for some shellies with the money i had for the 55gallon. I figure i can wait for a bigger room instead of having to take up space in my basement, i rather have a bigger tank in my room.
So what shellies would you all recommend?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts