Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats a good fish to put in with some Cynotilapia Afra "Chimate, North"
Red Top Dwarf
im looking to breed these

so here is a list of ideas but i dont know if they will cross
saulosi
yellow labs
Pseudotropheus sp. "Perspicax Orange Cap" Red Top Ndumbi
or
Cynotilapia Afra Cobue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Just don't mix them with any other Cynotilapia species, as they will hybridize. Saulosi would be bad as well because of the similar coloration and aggressiveness. Red top Dwarf - is this a Metriaclima? General consensus is don't mix any two of the same Genus (Corect me if I'm wrong), i.e., Cynotilapia or Labidochromis, or there is a risk of hybridization. The general rule of thumb is that cichlids, Mbuna especially, will show aggression to fish that are similar in appearance, even if they aren't from the same Genus.

Albino Socolofi and Yellow Labs would be a good compliment to your Afra. What size is your tank?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
II25tolifeII said:
55 gallons i really wanted flavus,they look amazing but they are out of stock
Good looking Flavus are hard to come by and super aggressive. I had a lone male in my former mixed tank who totally dominated a third of the tank! Check out the teeth!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
II25tolifeII said:
amazing fish, those teeth look like they could rip the afras i want apart lol
Have you looked at the cookie cutter setups section under Library? It gives some pretty good examples for compatible Mbuna stocking :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fish_addiction said:
II25tolifeII said:
amazing fish, those teeth look like they could rip the afras i want apart lol
Have you looked at the cookie cutter setups section under Library? It gives some pretty good examples for compatible Mbuna stocking :thumb:
Yea i checked that out just wanted to make sure for breeding purposes that they wouldnt mate with any different species in the tank because the main reason i like keeping fish is watching the babies of my fish grow and get their color
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
II25tolifeII said:
also the website says the afras im getting are hard to find these days any truth behind that?
IME, Afras are typically found at local breeders, not Local Fish Stores because they're just not that popular. I have a separate post going on that subject right now...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fish_addiction said:
II25tolifeII said:
also the website says the afras im getting are hard to find these days any truth behind that?
IME, Afras are typically found at local breeders, not Local Fish Stores because they're just not that popular. I have a separate post going on that subject right now...
ahh... ill go check it out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
II25tolifeII said:
fish_addiction said:
II25tolifeII said:
also the website says the afras im getting are hard to find these days any truth behind that?
IME, Afras are typically found at local breeders, not Local Fish Stores because they're just not that popular. I have a separate post going on that subject right now...
ahh... ill go check it out
couldnt find it under your profile :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
II25tolifeII said:
whats a good fish to put in with some Cynotilapia Afra "Chimate, North"
Red Top Dwarf
im looking to breed these

so here is a list of ideas but i dont know if they will cross
saulosi
yellow labs
Pseudotropheus sp. "Perspicax Orange Cap" Red Top Ndumbi
or
Cynotilapia Afra Cobue
how about i get rid of the afra idea and Pseudotropheus sp. "Perspicax Orange Cap" Red Top Ndumbi get 3 males and 15 females of these it may seem overstocked but the filteration im gonna get is complete overkill gonna use about 2-3 hang on(made for 55 gallon tanks) filters and a canister filter made for a 160 gallon tank
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top