Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this group and new to cichlids. I have had many tropical fish when I was younger and currently have a saltwater setup. I would like to make this 55 gallon into a cichlid/jack dempsey tank. Below is a photo of what I have done so far with the tank. I just filled the tank this afternoon with water and I am going to let it sit for a week or two with just the filter and heater running.

sorry for the double vision on the rocks the background is black and I took the photo with my phone.

Equipment:

penguin HOB filter
Korilla powerhead for water movement
150W heater
Glo T-5 Light - 2 bulbs (10k white bulb & actinic bulb)

Flagstone & paver rocks from home depot
Pool filter sand
2 plastic plants

Haven't decided yet on livestock I like the electric blue I saw at the pet shop the other day.

I value the advise of some of you veteran cichlid keepers so please feel free to let me know if you see any changes that need to be made while the tank is just starting.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would add some driftwood to your tank and maybe a couple more plants, IMHO I think driftwood really makes a tank look good. Electric Blue Jacks are an amazing fish, I think that is a good choice for your first time with cichlids. Just remember that they're a little more laid back then normal jacks so choose tank mates wisely.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Letting it sit for a week or two won't do a thing. You only need a day, 2 at the most, to get the temp stable and the water cleared up.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle - check the library section of this site. You will need to cycle your tank or you'll likely kill all your fish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Ok thanks I wasnt sure if the tank had to cycle like my saltwater tank. When I had tropical fish as a kid they said let the tap water sit for a few days and you can start adding fish. I will read up on the nitrogen and get the cycle going.

Thanks

·
Banned
406 Posts
Definitely do a fishless cycle.

It took me about 3 weeks to complete my cycle...other tanks could tank longer to cycle, I was lucky I guess.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts