Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am upgrading my tank to a 55gal next week..
I started my 30 gal tank with 4 Yellow Labs and 4 Red Tail Acei about 2 years ago. My Yellow Labs haven't stopped breeding so now have about 20/25 Yellow Labs and sadly 3 Acei after one died :(

Now.. my plan is to sell/donate almost all my Mbuna.. maybe keep 4 x Yellow Labs (1m, 3f) and 1 x Red Tail Acei (the dominant one).
The other fish I'm thinking on getting something along the lines of (all male): Electric Blue Hap, Nimbochromis venustus, Aulonocara stuartgranti, 3 x Clown Loaches(m/f). Maybe a Bristle Nose Pleco.

My questions are.. what do you think? do you have any suggestions? Am i running into a disaster!?lol

Excited for the upgrade and having more options (Haps/Peacocks)

Thanks for any help and suggestions :)

Stuart

·
Super Moderator
40,715 Posts
A 55G tank for all-male is going to limit you somewhat. Shoot for 8-10 adult fish and avoid anything that matures > 6".

Avoid venustus which needs a 72" tank.

I would skip the clown loaches as well...they like to be in large groups (like six) and grow to be a large fish (13").

What is a red-tail acei? I've seen yellow tail and white tail. Are you sure the fish is an acei? Since they mature > 6" I might skip them for a 55G.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks DJ..

Yes, sorry..its a Yellow Tail Acei. I didn't realise they grew larger than 6"!

I was in 2 minds about the Clown Loaches as I'm planning on upgrading to 150gal in a couple of years but no guarantees i will need to upsize to a house first!

I am shocked that i have been ill-advised by local fish shops - they said that the Yellow Tail Acei would be fine for my 30 Gal. Some years ago when i was running the tank as a community tank they advised I could get Clown Loaches, Red Tail Shark Fish, Angel Fish etc.. not true!

If i got some females am i able to get more fish?
I will be getting 2 filters so will have more than enough filtration.

I'm going to look at some cichlids today but will be careful not to buy anything till after doing some research.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
40,715 Posts
For a 55G with mixed genders think in terms of 3 species and 1m:4f of each. This depends on the specific species of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts