Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I recently purchased a 50 gallon aquarium, and I am currently waiting on my stand to arrive. The aquarium is a long one if that matters at all, I saw some 50's that were 36'' long and wide and this one is 48.5 x 12.7 x 18.8.
I bought an aquaclear 70 filter for it, and an aqueon pro 150 watt heater.
Will the ac 70 filter be good enough filtration? And will the heater be good enough for 50 gallons? I know you are supposed to go up on the filtration and i did some, but i don't know if it will be enough. And the heater said up to 55 gallons, so i didn't know if that was fine or if i should go up to the 200 watt which said for up to 70 gallons.
I wanted to make sure that i made the right choices before i open them.
I am not sure what i will be keeping in the aquarium yet, but my favorites so far are
angelfish
blood red parrot chichlids
electric yellow chichlids
electric blue chichlids
Also some kind of snails.
I am not sure if any of those can go together though, i've red conflicting things. Any opinions on those choices? Can any of them live together safely? Not that I would get all of those kinds of chichlids, but i would like more than one variety. Just wondering what kinda combinations would be possible and also maybe how many would be ok for 50 gallons without overcrowding.
Thank you for any advice, I am new to this, all i've ever had was a ten gallon goldfish aquarium ten years ago, so this is really a step up and I want to do it right.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The AC70 may enough if you keep the tank likely stocked and do frequent water changes. I try to get 10x turnover rate or my tanks. So for a 50g it would be around 500 gph. I tend to over filter. Not sure what the AC70 output is. If you find it, remember that the listed gph rate will be for an empty filter. The heater should be fine. You want the lowest wattage possible that maintains the proper temp, this way if it breaks and gets stuck on there isn't enought wattage to boil your fish. I'm not good with stocking recommendations but I would keep African cichilds with African cichlids. Parrots are South American cichlids (I think) and not sure where Angels are from. If you decide to go with Mbuna Africans, I would keep a max 2 maybe 3 species with a ratio of 1m to 4f. Good luck with everything. Don't forget to check the library section and read up on the Nitrogen Cycle and fishless cycling.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Angels are an SA fish. Parrots are a hybrid, aren't they? Either way, they're New World.

You don't want to mix either of those with mbuna (yellows and blues). Not sure what you mean by electric blue, either... I'm guessing mainganos? AKA EB johannis? If you go that route... 7-8 yellow labs (preferably only 1 male but not critical) and 8-9 mainganos (only 1 male, the rest female).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts