Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the hobby. I have a new 46 gallon bowfront tank. I currently have 9 assorted African cichlids in there ranging in size from an inch to an inch and half. The tank has just been set up recently, an upgrade from a 20 gallon tank I had. I moved all the gravel and decorations from the old tank to try to keep as much bacteria as I could. I also moved over my two Penguin 150's, but with this larger tank, I want to have some serious overkill on what I need for filtration to ensure I always have super clear water. I am looking into a canister type filter and then ditching the HOB's, or perhaps just leaving one on there as a backup in case the canister goes out. I have two large bubble wands in there for surface agitation so if I was to remove the HOB's I am thinking that will be enough agitation especially with the output of the canister as well. I will have to play around with the output once I get it and see what works out best.

So, with that size tank, what is the best canister filter to get that will allow me to add many more fish and still keep crystal clear water? Where do I want to be on GPH?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Bueller

·
Registered
509 Posts
With your two filters you have you are getting 300gph filtration. That's more than a single 2217 would provide, which is rated for 264 gph.

I would say you don't need to change filters if you don't want to spend the money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts