Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 45gallon tank at petco's a dollar a gallon sale. I would have got a bigger tank but this tank will replace my 33 gallon hex flat back tank(fits the stand).
Also i won't have to buy a new filter, light, heater, hood(From my 30g long) or under gravel jet system.

The 45gallon is 36''x12''x24'' the 33gallon is 36''x12''x21''

I plan put silica sand in it and use some slate tiles to make caves.

I would like to post pictures but im not sure how to. Can some give me some directions on how to?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first thing i did was put in the ugj's from my old tank that im replacing with this tank.

Then i added the pool filter sand about 50 pounds

Next i removed my old tank from its stand and replaced it with the new one

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Added my power head and filter

then added my hood and light and some lava rock just to c how it looked

·
Registered
87 Posts
looking good so far. I just put my 55g togeather. eggcreat and silica sand but I put it in dry..will that be a problem? I dont have any UGJ's so thats out.. and I still need more rocks. Just bought the stand today too.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ash3r said:
I just put my 55g togeather. eggcreat and silica sand but I put it in dry..will that be a problem?
If you didn't pre-rinse your sand then it will make your water very brown. I had to rinse mine in a bucket a good 10 times before the water ran clear. It will save you a lot of headache if you remove it now and rinse it in a bucket instead of having to do tons of full water changes in the tank.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Natalie said:
Ash3r said:
I just put my 55g togeather. eggcreat and silica sand but I put it in dry..will that be a problem?
If you didn't pre-rinse your sand then it will make your water very brown. I had to rinse mine in a bucket a good 10 times before the water ran clear. It will save you a lot of headache if you remove it now and rinse it in a bucket instead of having to do tons of full water changes in the tank.
i Agree with natalie you should probably wash it. I know thats a set back and will take a little while and will be a pain to do but it will be worth it.

Also if you do take the sand out or if you don't i would recomend puting in Under gravel jets the pvc pipe doesn't cost but like 5 bucks alltogether(thats all i spent). But the reverse power head costs like 40 bucks.(but its worth it). I don't know if money is a factor but if it is still put in the pvc jets

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like it it is very nice

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently bought the same 45 gallon tank from PetCo for $45. Great deal.

I have a question or two. I am upgrading from a 25 gallon tank and I took nearly all of the water and the old filter from that tank and put it in the new one. Plus, I took 3 lava rocks I had been using in the old tank and put them in the new one. I am using new rocks/gravel and about 20 gallons of new water.

Will my fish experience any problems while it cycles? Or will I have enough bacteria in the tank already that it won't really cycle? I've had fish for a long time, but I've never upgraded like this.

I also have a question about the filter. I'm pretty certain my old filter is for tanks that are between 20-30 gallons. Should I get a new one for the 45 gallon tank or will this one do fine?

Thanks for your time. I'll post some pictures, soon. I'm blessed with a very nice set up.

Sincerely,
Jason

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Most people suggest water over turn rate of 10 x per hour, in your case 450 gph. You probably should add another filter to up your rate and keep the water clear. Remember those ratings on the filters are for low load. I go by the minimum rating on the box. Double the gallons of your tank (45x2=90) and find one that fits that size tank. You may want to add something like an Aquaclear 110 or similar. Most here will tell you that more filtration is always better.

With two filters you can clean one at a time and have active bio still going the other filter. For example, (mine are hob filters) I clean one filter and replace the filter floss, then two weeks later, clean the other one, rotating like that.

As far as cycling goes, I would test and see where you are. It would make sense that you have added biologicals with the used filter and lava rocks to your new tank, but there is more water volume and the gravel is new. The jury is out on whether or not the used water is helpful in cycling your tank. Be sure to keep an eye on those test numbers, you may have to do some water changes until things level out.

Did you put the fish you had already in there or are you adding more/new?

You have gone a bunch larger in size of aquariums, that's exciting :thumb: Please do post pics when you are ready!

alicem

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for your reply!

I'll be careful and monitor everything closely. I have a bottle of AmQuel Plus that removes nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, chlorine, and chloramines. Do you think it'd be wise to squirt some in there every couple of days as it cycles?

I added all of the fish already. They seem to be doing fine. I have some water testing equipment, so I'll try to test the water to make sure.

Sincerely,
Jason

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jason Gastrich said:
I recently bought the same 45 gallon tank from PetCo for $45. Great deal.

I have a question or two. I am upgrading from a 25 gallon tank and I took nearly all of the water and the old filter from that tank and put it in the new one. Plus, I took 3 lava rocks I had been using in the old tank and put them in the new one. I am using new rocks/gravel and about 20 gallons of new water.

Will my fish experience any problems while it cycles? Or will I have enough bacteria in the tank already that it won't really cycle? I've had fish for a long time, but I've never upgraded like this.

I also have a question about the filter. I'm pretty certain my old filter is for tanks that are between 20-30 gallons. Should I get a new one for the 45 gallon tank or will this one do fine?

Thanks for your time. I'll post some pictures, soon. I'm blessed with a very nice set up.

Sincerely,
Jason
Im not sure about the cycling because im pretty new to this too.

What you could do is just buy another filter with the same gph as your old one or one with a little more and you could just run two filters.
I am running an aquaclear 50 on my 45g and it seems to be doing a good job.(for now)

if you do plan to just run one big filter i would recommend to get the next step up from aquaclear50(i think i might need to add antoher small filter, as my tank gets stocked up with fish)

Not to arque with alicem but i don't think u would need as much gph as aquaclear 110. In my opinion.
I think it would be a bit of an over kill. Just my opinion

Can't wait to see so pictures! :D

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It depends on where you are in the water cycle.

If your tank has cycled, then you can add Amquel to the replacement water.

If your tank is still cycling, I'm pretty sure you should not add any of that stuff. It gives false testing readings. Check the article on cycling your tank. It is mentioned in there.

That suggestion of the AC 110 was just that, a suggestion. :) Read and research, then use your best judgement. :thumb:

Have fun with it, this is a great hobby!

Alicem

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I changed some things around i wanted to use some natural rocks but i couldn't find what i wanted. So instead i used some lava rock from the old tank and stacked it in the corner. I also moved the undergravel cave into the back right corner where i put the lava rock. And then I added some more little rocks, some more slate and a small plant.

Im very pleased with the outcome.
What do you think? any suggestions?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No not yet i would like to get a pleco but *** been busy lately. Also i want to find a pleco thats not a common pleco.(a cool looking one) I need to get some more fish too. I think i will get some more lava rock too. What i really want are some nice river rocks simliar to what i have now and pile them in the one corner.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts