Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys as the title of my post says, i have a new 3ft tank on a 2 tier stand...
on the bottom theres a 30"x18"x16" for my j.marlieri species tank (final attempt at breeding)
and on the top will be a 36"x15"x18" (LWH) and will be the new home for my 30 Multies and like 75 gold and silver turbo snail shells...

Is there any species ove cave dwelling fish that could be homed in this tank without fry predation of either species?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've kept multies and J. regani together: lots of skirmishes and property line disputes, but I never had any serious battles. In hindsight, one of the smaller julie species would have been a better idea though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wouldnt regani be just like my marlieri and be a threat to eating multies fry tho?
i only wanna add fish that wont end up eating each others fry....

·
Registered
279 Posts
The marlies are going to have a tough time actually getting to the fry (multies are great at protecting their "space"). You're more likely to lose adult fish during territorial disputes than you are to losing fry, IMO.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The marlies are going to have a tough time actually getting to the fry (multies are great at protecting their "space"). You're more likely to lose adult fish during territorial disputes than you are to losing fry, IMO.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Julies are great fry predators. And large julidochromis species will kill shellies to get at the fry.

Even vegetarians like gobies will terrorize shell beds looking for a tasty snack. Of course, some fry predation can be a good thing: culling bad fish, keeping the parents busy...

I think a non-cichlid dither may be what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
how about some paracyps?
they can eat fry, but it think the multie colony can take them. they are really gentle fish though.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whoa yeah! i completely forgot the idea of paracyps, thanks multies :thumb:

*** never kept them before, what do i do for setting up the tank to incorperate some? add a few caves...

oh and how many should i buy considering its only a 3ft tank?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I think a 3' is fine for paracyps on their own... but I wonder if they'd feel cramped with so many multies always on their case. I'd suggest maybe a smaller goby, as they aren't the greatest fry predators (I think this is because they need to look down to focus on what they're trying to eat with their under-slung mouths and all). They seem to ignore most fish once they get about half an inch and would rather eat NLS and spirulina anyway.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks darkside, *** never kept gobies either :D
*** allways wanted to see their cool bi-parental mouthbrooding...

what type should i look for and how many?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts