Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have my 55gallon tank currently running for about 3 weeks. Algae is starting to form on the glass and I'm just letting it build up till I start adding fish soon, so they have enough food . I was planning on adding otos to the tank first to help with this problem , but will also be adding many more fish in the future. Was wondering what setup would work for a community planted tank? I have over 10 different types of plants with wood rocks and a coconut for shelter. Plants are starting to carpet and grow very fast with the aqau soil I used. Also I have done one 20% water change because the tank ph was at 6.6 and this brought it up back up to 7.0. Now 9 days later it has gone back down to 6.6 and I will be doing a water change very soon. So I'm thinking this will be a common reacurance going forward and done a little research the on types of fish I can keep in this type of ph waters and this is what I think?
2 Electric blue ram one male one female
3 apistogramma one male 2 female
8 otocinclus
6 corydoras
15 runny nose tetra
8 rainbow fish

Will this work in ur opinion ? And what should I change or add?
Also I forgot to add that I used two different types of wood, one is drift and the other is unknown but I bought it in the fish store. This unknown wood has been building this white mold looking stuff over it and kinda looks like the wood itself is peeling not sure. Would this be dangerous to the fish?

Thank you

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
Welcome to C-F!

I did a quick check on another forum and it says that Aquasoil lowers pH and water hardness plus it leaches ammonia for a few weeks and needs large water changes often until the ammonia levels decline.

I have no experience with true planted tanks and various substrates so hopefully someone else will comment. It is common for driftwood to grow a whitish mold looking substance when introduced to a tank so at this point I wouldn't worry about it. You could try a vacuum it off it is unsightly but will probably return. I'm not sure if otos will eat it or not.

Meanwhile what are the test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Not sure of your experience with keeping aquariums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ph stays 7 - 6.7 ish to be exact
Ammonia is 0
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is 0

And his been this way for the last 2 weeks since I started testing it. Also the temp is around 80 F.

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
Cichlidude said:
Yes your filter/tank is not cycled. That will take about 3-8 weeks to complete before adding any fish.
Plus one. The average after you start adding ammonia to start the cycle would be six weeks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Your stocking list looks good for the most part, just have a couple concerns. Most rainbowfish get 4+ inches and are pretty boisterous and active. I think they would stress out the rummy nose tetras for sure. You could go with the Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish- Melanotaenia praecox. They max out at 3 inches but still might be a little too active. There are plenty of other colorful tetras that are a bit hardier than the rummy nose like Bleeding Hearts and Diamond Tetras as well. As far as the Apistogramma, I dont have first hand experience with them but based on what I have read I believe they pair off so that extra female probably would be all alone. Unless you are buying established pairs its probably best to buy a small group of each dwarf cichlid and let them pair off on their own. In that size tank, you could also have more than two pairs easy. As stated above, make sure your tank is cycled before you add any of these fish. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts