Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I have a 250ltr (4.5ft) freshwater tank that i recently put some plants in which ended up polluting my water and killing most of my fish. FANTASTIC!.... Anyway i decided its time to finally do my dream of a lake malawi setup!

I will get rid of my fish that are left, empty the tank and start again.

Then to make sure all the pollution is gone i think i will cycle the tank with multi cure for a couple of weeks before doing ANYTHING. Please tell me if this is necessary or not?

Then i get to the bit where i am stuck. I current live in adelaide and we have very hard water perfect for cichlids. But my ph is a little on the low side at just above 7. I have black gravel atm and im thinking of adding rocks like limestone or tufa rock or anything white really to bring up the ph up a bit. But will that be enough or will i need crushed coral too?

Now for the equipment. I recently bought a ehiem cannister filter (500 ltrs an hour) and arriving in this mail is a 4 bulb 30 watt light. Is the filter big enough, im really hoping it is seeing as i just bought it, and is the lighting too much?

I will attach a photo of my tank now, and what i want it to end up looking like, and any opinons and or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

My tank now - http://bit.ly/mj0EOH
Very bland and boring i know. But hey thats why im changing!

My inspiration - http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/photo-main.php/9583

·
Registered
625 Posts
Don't worry about your ph, it's better to keep your fish in constant, stable water than trying to fix it after every water change.

The filter looks to be a little on the small side, you want to cycle your tank water 4-6 times an hour, only 2 times an hour might not be enough depending on your bioload. So you'd want to look at a total filtration flow from your canister, a hang on back, power heads, etc. to be between 1,000-1,500 LPH. A Pengiun 350 or Aquaclear 70 or any thing that picks up the extra 500-1,000 LPH should be perfect.

Lighting is preference, that said, it should be good.

Like your tank and your inspiration, look forward to seeing your progress! :thumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much for your reply. I shall look into some more filtration today. Just quickly would you have any idea how much it would be for those rocks in my inspirational tank?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts