Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

I'm new here and i am happily taking the cichlid route, as i am building my first ever African set-up. My tank is a Juwel Rio240 and is/will be set as Lake Tanganyika.
I placed the decor today, consisting of a large piece of moor wood, surrounded by rocks, of which some might also be limestone. I know this ups the alkalinity and hardness, but i have read that its ok or even better for Tanganyikan species. Need some confirmation on this though.

Tomorrow i'll put the black 2mm gravel from Aquatic Nature, and fill the tank with tap water.
I intend to keep the tank running for 1-2 weeks prior to introducing the first fish. However, being quite new to these kind of fish, i'd like to have some suggestions which are best suited for my tank dimensions.
I'd ask also some questions please:

Which fish is best to start introducing?

What number must each species consist of? and should they be male & female in order to achieve their best natural conditions? If yes, at what ratio?

What catfish can be used in a Tanganyikan set-up? I mean catfish from same lake.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, with that size tank you have a few options. If you only have the one tank available you will be better off with a 'peaceful' community. I would personally look at the holy trinity of Juli ornatus / transcriptus, Alto calvus / compressiceps and a shell dweller. To do this you would probably need to rearrange your rocks to allow better defined territories. Usual advice is rocks at each end with open space in between for shellie.
Not sure about catfish. I always feel they are a disruptive element and never have the urge to keep them. If you do then a small synodontis may be appropriate.

Upper reaches of tank could support cypros or other dithers.

·
Registered
212 Posts
dont use gravel uSE SAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pool FIlter Sand CHeap , YOu wont regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts