Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going with sand this time around. What type of sand is the easiest to clean as far as initial set-up, and how much do I need to get a good 3" depth in the 90g? I don't have exact dimensions yet, but it's a 5-footer. Also, it doesn't have a lid or lights at the moment, so I'll have to fab something up. Any suggestions on how to do it cheaply?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I hot glued some thin plexiglass to a lighting diffuser grid to make a solid "glass" top for my 40br. You could probably do the same for your 90 cost might be $20.

Lights you could do a 4' shoplight fixture from home depot I think the fixture costs about $10 2 T12 6500 bulbs maybe $6 its a foot short but should be enough to light up your 5' tank enough to see the fishies.

So thats $40 with tax you got yourself an evaporation proof top and lighting not bad eh?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just set up a new 90g for my haps. I used 2-50lb bags of pool filter sand, $18.00 for 3in apprx of sand, for a top-2 48x18 glass tops from lfs $45.00. The light is a T5 w/regular and bluish bulbs and moon lights, basically 4 different light combo's in 1, I love it, it was $85.00 Hope that helps.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JimNY said:
I just set up a new 90g for my haps. I used 2-50lb bags of pool filter sand, $18.00 for 3in apprx of sand, for a top-2 48x18 glass tops from lfs $45.00. The light is a T5 w/regular and bluish bulbs and moon lights, basically 4 different light combo's in 1, I love it, it was $85.00 Hope that helps.
I got a decent deal on the tank ($110 w/stand) but the wife will already have a fit when she sees it in the living room. She'd REALLY snap if I put another $130 into it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
As far as the sand, I use pool filter sand. It's cheap and pretty clean right out of the bag. I got lazy and didn't even rinse it and it was perfectly fine. Now maybe I just got a good brand? I dunno. I would suggest rinsing any sand before using however.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
50% more... 2 extra feet in length.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
car0linab0y said:
The 90g turned out to be a 4-footer, so I turned it down. Good news is, I found a 125g today. It's a 6-footer, so about how much sand would I need now?
I used 100lbs of sand in my 6' 125g. It might even be a bit too much depending on how many rocks you have. Remember, the rocks sit on the glass, and the sand gets put in around them, so if you have a lot of rocks on the bottom layer, you wouldn't need as much sand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.