Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I picked up a 140G tank (72 x 18 x 25, stand, canopy, XP3, etc, etc) :eek: . Now I'm wondering what to stock it with. It won't be set up for 4-6 weeks...I have to finish doing some work in our dining room (that's where it's going). So, here's a list of what I currently have and some I'd like. Any comments and especially suggestions on other fish would be greatly appreicated. As a bonus, my wife wants me to keep my current 55G cuz she likes the look of it (she's coming along nicely... :thumb: )

Current Fish
18 Demasoni Pombo Rocks
6 Yellow Labs

Fish I'd Like
M. estherea (1M 3F)
P. sp Acei (Msuli) - 6 of these to fill out the upper half
P. socolofi (possibly...1M 3F)
M. cyaneorhabdos (not sure on numbers on these)
C. trewavasae (not sure on numbers on these either)

Will any of the fish I'd like work with the yellow labs and dems? I really like the trewavasae, but not sure if it'd go well with mbuna. Also, if you have any other suggestions I should consider, let me know. I've got a lot of room to work with, and time before setting it up, so let me hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Are you planning on donig any breeding for distribution?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not out of this tank. It'd be a real pain pulling out holding females. I'll keep my 55G as a breeding setup for yellow labs and dems.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Then i think the fish that you like will have no dramas with the fish you already have.
The maingano may be the only problem due to there close resemblance of the demasoni but should be ok. 1m/3 or 4f
Trewavasae again 1m/3 or 4f
Get a group of synodontis multipunctatis for fry control. Be aware that yellow labs and Esterea hybridize constantly even with correct ratios so never sell the fry.
Syno multis are parasitic breeders so if you ever notice them robbing a breeding pair of there eggs and adding there own, pull out the female that is un-knowingly holding there eggs and sell them when the grow. very cool

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gibbs. I was iffy on the Mainganos too, but we'll see. I definitely will be adding multipunctatus in there for fry control.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple more thoughts on what to add please. I don't plan on breeding in this tank...just want it to be active and colorful. It will have LOTS of rocks. Also the tank will be heavily filtered (XP3 and 2 AC 110s). Anyone is welcome to let me know their opinions...

Current Fish
18 Demasoni Pombo Rocks
6 Yellow Labs

Fish I'd Like To Add
M. estherea (1M 3F)
M. Greshakei (Albino) (1M 3F)
P. sp Acei (Msuli) - 6 of these to fill out the upper half
M. cyaneorhabdos (not sure if I want these)
P. flavus (1M 3F)
C. trewavasae (1M 3F)
N. venustus (1M 1F)
E. cyanostictus (Kasanga) (1M 1F)
S. multipunctatus (3)

I know the gobies are iffy in here, I'm thinking with all the rocks, they might have a place to themselves. Also not sure on the gresgakei and flavus...are they too aggressive? What do you think?

:fish:

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Sounds like a lot of species. I have a tank with same footprint and the 5 species I have fill the tank nicely. I don't think I'd go over 7. And you've got some aggressive species on your list...if you add some of them I'd do 4 females minimum (like estherae, greshakei, flavus). I think you need more than 1 female for the venustus but maybe someone else will confirm. And the Synodontis Multipunctatus like to be in larger groups...in a 72" I'd do 5.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me clarify. I don't intend to add ALL those species. I like those and am wondering which of those I should go with.

Here's what I'm contemplating going with:

Dems (18), Labs (6), Acei (6), Red Zebra (4), C. trewavasae (4), Venustus (depends on if I need more than 1 female...or maybe just 1 male???), S. multipunctatus (3-5). So? :-?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I'd go with 20 Dems in a 72" tank (larger group "fills" larger tank better to spread aggression) and I'd do 4 females of zebra and trewavasae since they are on the aggressive side.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks DJ. Anyone else have any opinions or suggestions??? Mods?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The tank is up and running...my sig shows the current inhabitants. Today I received 7 F1 Cyno sp. Hara "Gallireya Reef" which I will be attempting to breed. I want them in my 140G, but I want to breed them first and then stock my tank with some of the F2 offspring. I'm also going to a fish auction Saturday where I hope to pick up several new fish for my set up. Some Red Zebras and Acei...and who knows what else. On that same day, I am also picking up some more tanks. I'll be getting a dual iron stand with 45G and 50G complete set ups (tanks, hoods, lights, filters, heaters, etc etc) for $160. :thumb: Can't beat that. Plus I'll be getting some fish and a bonus 20G Long from them as well. So I will be ending up with a fish room unintentionally. The 50G and 45G, a 29G, a 20L and atleast 2 10Gs. My wife is thrilled
(**heavy sarcasm here**). Anyway, that's my update. I will update again this weekend after everything has played out and I can see what my new fish will be...

:dancing: :fish: =D>

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got Elongatus Usisya in with my dems and labs and they get along very well. The elongatus have a rich chocolate brown color while young.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Those Elongatus are nice, topper. :thumb: I may take a look at some of those. Thanks!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went to the MCAS fish auction yesterday in Madison Heights, MI. My first time to an auction and it was pretty cool. Lots of nice people who enjoy the hobby and are willing to talk about what they know. Lots of fun.

My primary reason was going down there to pick up two tanks. A dual metal stand with a 45G and a 50G tank. Both are complete with heaters, hoods, lights, filters, decorations, etc. plus some fish. Not bad for $160. Took a lot of cleaning today but I have 1 set up and the other I just need to add water to it tomorrow ngiht. I must be becoming a fish nut...today is my b-day and I spent it cleaning and rearranging fish tanks. lol :dancing:

Now...onto what we all want to see some pics.

Tank shot (redecorated)

Some pics of the newest additions (L. sp. Hongi Super Red Top Kimpuma)

More tank shots

Here are some other recent additions in other spare tanks I have...

Cyno sp hara "Gallireya Reef"

German Red Peacocks

N. pulcher (Daffodil)

I had to put the L. sp. Hongi in the main tank because I simply didn't have enough room to put them elsewhere for quarantine. Fortunately I got them from a very reputable breeder and I was checking out their store and things look good, so I took the chance. I'm extremely happy with what I have going, but I think I've reached my limit. Anymore tanks show up at my house and I might end up single again. lol :D All in all a great weekend though...

:fish: :dancing: =D>

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Looks great :thumb: That metal stand with shelves to hold tanks is like what we have where I work in a walk in cooler to store food on. I saw the price of one, not sure of the size but it wasn't near as long or high as ours at work, on e-bay or somewhere online. It was used and they wanted 100 bucks for just the stand so you got a super deal. What kind of filters did you get with the tanks, stand, etc.? I can't believe you scored all that for $160.00 (I think that's the price you said you paid, right?)

I got a 29g. tank with the hood, light, white gravel that I like, 3 big white rocks of some sort, a practically new Fluval 305 filter, and a pretty black iron stand that will hold another 29g. tank on the bottom shelf for FREE off of freecycle.org. A girlfriend called me and told me it was just listed and gave me the phone number. I jumped on it like a kid on a trampolene :lol: After a couple months the tank got a small leak and I'm working on that now but I still can't complain. I would have been tickled pink with just the filter.

Yep, you know you got fish fever bad when you spend your birthday cleaning tanks. Those red tops are worth it though :wink: . They look really sweet. I think some albino socolofi would look great in that tank. I have 3 in my 55g. tank (1 m. 1 f. 1?) I have a couple more in a grow out tank hoping they are female. The pure white of them really stands out and looks really good.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dewdrop, I got the 45G & 50G with standard heater & lights, Whisper 60 filters and dual metal stand for $160. Also came with a bunch of shells and rocks, and one had sand but there were a ton of snails in it. I don't like those snail infestations. I thought it was a good deal too. I've been contemplating some white fish. I was thinking some M. greshakei (Albino). Good deal on that 29G. Free tanks are always nice.

Mobius, I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT camera. It was about $650 new. I don't really know how to use it too well yet. It has so many features...I need a class to learn how to use everything properly. It's a really nice camera though.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I should probably post an update here.

The tank is doing really well. I've got several dems holding (what else is new). The yellow labs are doing good, but I'm convinced I have 5 males and 1 female (what luck). The hongis are good and I think I lucked out there with 1 male and 4 females. I created a fry pile to salvage any dem fry. So far there is one little guy who's been in there for about a month. There may be more but I only see him. He's getting quite bold at feeding time. One of the yellow labs knows he's in there and keeps stalking him, but so far the little guy is doing good. I'd like to see him make it...so we'll see.

I placed an order today to finish stocking my tank. I'm adding 6 Acei, 4 Red Zebras, 3 Albino Socolofi and 3 C. trewavasae Mloto Likoma. I'm hoping the haps do ok because I really like them, but if they don't I can move them into another tank...I have several. I should receive the fish Tuesday...so looking forward to that. That's about all for now.

:fish:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts