Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 20L for 10yrs+ but was never really serious about equipment... just very casual. I work from home and in the midst of a professional remodel, I'm finally getting to setup my 125g I've always wanted (thanks to the fact I can convince the wife it's a business expense as it's part of the remodel).

In doing this I'm trying to learn the correct setup that will make a beautiful tank... but see some conflicting stuff and wanted to make sure I'm reading things right. I live in a place with VERY hard water (I've got a water softener on the house so I'll have to bypass it when I do water changes). I've decided to go with a crushed coral substrate, the undergravel jets & a caniseter filter. My questions are:

• Does one canister filter work for a tank this size? I've got my eye on the Eheim 2217 (want a quiet one).
    If doing a canister, do you hook the undergravel jets up to the return?
    If doing a canister, do I also do powerheads with the undergravel jets? If so... how many? Looking at the Rio+ 2100 Powerhead w/ the Penguin Reverse Flow Kit.
I might be missing something, but I planned on one canister that was hooked up to one the undergravel jets and two of the powerhead setups with the sponge filters attached, also hooked up to two other undergravel jets... each jet "run" having 3 jets.

Feedback?

My biggest challenge will be supplies as I've had a very hard time finding a specialty store where I live (Jacksonville, FL). The one I used to use went out of business after some side-business they were running was foiled by the feds (oops!). All I have is PetSmart which I find a bit lacking.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
The Eheim 2217 has a great reputation but on a 125 g I would either use two of them or upgrade to an Eheim 2262. The first option will be cheaper and will give you the advantage of redundancy.

UGJ usually need a more powerful pump to move the water so I wouldn't hook it up to the canister's return. You probably also want to use the canister return for water surface agitation to optimize oxygenation/gas exchange. I would just use powerheads for the UGJs.

How you stock your tank (type, number and size of fish) will influence how much filtration and water movement are appropriate.

If you're having problems finding the equipment you need locally, there's lots of online options to consider (they're often cheaper also).

HTH

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks zimmy. I was planning a mixed Haps & Mbuma tank...

While I prefer a single canister, the idea of doubling up the two 2217's is somewhat appealing. Noise is something I'm sensitive to as I do some recording in my office so noisy pumps will be a bit frustrating.

Thanks for the input on the UGJ... what you said makes sense. I'm assuming with 2 canister filters, two powerheads w/ 3 jets on each will likely be enough, you think?

Ordering online is much preferred anyway for me... slowly finding some good online merchants. Just wish there was a good place to at least get the fish... supplies are fine to order. Local PetSmart has a lot of Cichlids, but just not a great selection. I'm skeptical about ordering fish online...

·
Registered
464 Posts
I just picked up a new 2217 for 139 free shipping on ebay. He has 7 left just do a search.. great price

·
Registered
208 Posts
Swamplander said:
Thanks zimmy. I was planning a mixed Haps & Mbuma tank...

While I prefer a single canister, the idea of doubling up the two 2217's is somewhat appealing. Noise is something I'm sensitive to as I do some recording in my office so noisy pumps will be a bit frustrating.

Thanks for the input on the UGJ... what you said makes sense. I'm assuming with 2 canister filters, two powerheads w/ 3 jets on each will likely be enough, you think?

Ordering online is much preferred anyway for me... slowly finding some good online merchants. Just wish there was a good place to at least get the fish... supplies are fine to order. Local PetSmart has a lot of Cichlids, but just not a great selection. I'm skeptical about ordering fish online...
Have a look at the reviews section for mail order fish. There are lots of very reputable breeders out there, and I wouldn't think twice about having them shipped. If quality is a priority, you need to find an online breeder/importer or some trusted local guys. Most LFS just don't cut it.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Swamplander said:
One of the moderators (fmueller) used to have a section on his website showing how he'd insulated his cabinet so that his Eheim 2260 couldn't be heard even if you put your ear within a couple of feet of the closed door of the stand. This part of his website doesn't seem to be available for now but if you have problems with sound, you could consider lining your stand on the inside with a safe insulation material to resolve the problem. Having said that, the Eheim 2217 is renowned for being very quiet.

The aforementioned site is still definitely worth browsing through for other ideas - including lots of details about an UGJ system that might be of interest to you.

http://www.fmueller.com/home/aquaristic ... gj-system/

·
Registered
509 Posts
Swamplander said:
(thanks to the fact I can convince the wife it's a business expense as it's part of the remodel).
Love it. I did the same thing. Both my tanks, fish, and all equipment were expensed :D

Enjoy the tank!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome... thanks everyone!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Love the 2217's but you will definately want 2. Just 'cuz your tank is big, but with 2 you get redundancy and the chance that both will go out at the same time is miniscule. Also you can alternate cleanings and always have one that is fully loaded for minimal disruption. And they are quiet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts