Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a 55g but should be picking up the 125g soon. I'm running the Cichlid sand black/white but will most likely be switching over to a different type of substrate as the sand is starting to become a pain to vacuum and the Cichlids dig the **** out of it. I am considering Crushed coral or a finer type Cichlid rock its' a light brown/dark brown color.. Do you guys think i should continue to use the sand, transfer it over and just buy a few more bags to make up the 60 or so pounds i would need to add for the additional tank size or go with something new? I'll post pics of the current tank a bit later, i just actually redid it yesterday.

I'm also running two penguin filters, a 350 and a 200.. moving over the the 125g, what do you think is my best filtering option if i went to a canister or should i consider drilling the tank? I'm looking to do the best filtering option for the most bang for my buck type deal..

Maybe a fluval FX5 or Eheim Pro3 i believe it is?? Just started to really research canister filters.

Thanks for any help :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
they dig up the sand because they like it...which is the goal, right? dont deny them something they like! haha.

even if you used crushed coral or small pebbles, they will most likely move it around...not to extent of sand maybe.

personally, i enjoy coming home and seeing that my fish have dug a new cave. makes me feel like i am giving them a good home.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hahah yea i guess, i know that's their natural behavior but its a real *************** when you can see the bottom and there are huge mounds on the front of the glass =( makes it look bad.. I guess even with the rocks you are right they will still move it around, but won't be as much.. so i guess im screwed either way :lol:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Cromak said:
I'm currently running a 55g but should be picking up the 125g soon. I'm running the Cichlid sand black/white but will most likely be switching over to a different type of substrate as the sand is starting to become a pain to vacuum and the Cichlids dig the #%$& out of it.
Whichever way you go, consider this: smaller grain substrate doesn't allow crud to work its way into the substrate - it stays on top. So although it can be more unsightly between vacuums, it's much easier to keep your nitrates in check when you can access all the poop, etc.
Also, your cichlids dig the #%$& out of it because they enjoy the activity. (Or are kept busy and stimulated by the activity if you're less into anthropomorphizing.)
For my tastes, it's Pool Filter Sand or play sand since they look the most natural.

Cromak said:
I'm also running two penguin filters, a 350 and a 200.. moving over the the 125g, what do you think is my best filtering option if i went to a canister or should i consider drilling the tank? I'm looking to do the best filtering option for the most bang for my buck type deal..
I am setting up my 125 with a FX5 and a Fluval 405. I am working on subdividing those two outputs into three or more. I like the idea of multiple outputs to eliminate dead spots. But maybe a powerhead or two will be easier. Either way, having two filters is a nice redundancy if things go wrong with one of them.

Don't drill the glass if it's tempered!

Cromak said:
Maybe a fluval FX5 or Eheim Pro3 i believe it is?? Just started to really research canister filters.
A lot of zealotry between Fluval and Eheim, but best to look here for reviews: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/ca ... ort=rating

kevin

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevin, great point about the substrate, i didn't even think about that. It does always stay ontop and is usually easy to get to.. I will probably stick with what i have then.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have a 125, using an FX5 as the only filter. I have crushed coral/shell substrate.

The fishies dig the HECK out of it. I have about 2" or so of it and they have dug multiple holes down to the glass (if I look under the tank I have light coming through from the top). I have video of one moving shells... and I see them spitting it out all the time.

My wife has PFS as substrate on her 55 gallon and I haven't had much issue getting the detrius off the sand (without catching sand)

As well, I don't mind vaccuuming the gravel in my 125. There's something I find oddly productive about digging in and gray debris floating up and away.

You can't really go wrong with the FX5 or an eheim.

I have 2 power heads on mine, a sponge filter at one corner and a power sweep at the other. I just ordered a 1250GPH Aqueon to go in the 125 and will put the power sweep in my wife's 55.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts