Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First tank, so I am pretty clueless here. I have been looking at fish profiles and I've come up with some that I like - so I need some ideas please! I am going to be stocking my 125 gallon tank with African cichlids, Lake Malawi - I want it to be as colorful as possible, so I was trying to get a species of each color-type. I am not doing an all-male tank.

I like these so far:

Labidochromis caeruleus (Lions Cove I) - yellow labs

Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt" (this is white with some yellow) - Can I do two species from Labidochromis or no?

Cynotilapia afra (cobue) - blue striped fish

Metriaclima callianos - all blue

Can those fish be put together? I need some recommendations on a red fish and maybe a black and white fish. Are there any green cichlids? And any recommendations of others that would go well. And also some recommendations on number of each species? Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
No true red or green. For red tones many view the red zebra (Metriaclima Estherae) as the closest but it's really orange. And they cross breed with yellow labs so if kept together the fry of either are a hybrid problem.

Your two labs will also crossbreed. The Afra and Callainos are good. You realize the Afra males are the only ones that are blue striped and you can only have one?

For white you could consider Pseudotropheus Socolofi Albino. And for black you could consider Pseudotropheus Acei Ngara.

Shoot for six fish of each species with 1m:5f ratio, except it is not as important for the labs.

I have 5 species in my 125G tank and that's plenty IMO. I'd add a group of 6 Synodontis Lucipinnis or Multipunctatus (shark-like shape and swimming pattern, leopard spots). In my tank they take care of the lab and zebra fry.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A good idea instead of the afra would be the Cynotilapia sp. white top hara. The males are light and dark blue while the females are a purple blue.

Instead of the common yellow lab you could go with Psuedotropheus saulosi. Again males are blue but the females are yellow.
I think the dark acei and/or white socolofi would be an excellent addition as well.

For a fifth species, I'm not sure, but the you might be able to get away with the red zebra or the perlmutt, just don't do both. The maingano is a good choice as well but you do already have a lot of dark colors in the tank.

That's my opinon, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Peacock88 said:
A good idea instead of the afra would be the Cynotilapia sp. white top hara. The males are light and dark blue while the females are a purple blue.
I can't find this fish in the profiles section?? Is it also called something else?

Instead of the common yellow lab you could go with Psuedotropheus saulosi. Again males are blue but the females are yellow.
My mom breeds the yellow labs, and she would like me to take some of hers when they get a little bigger. So I will definitely have some of the common yellow labs.

I think the dark acei and/or white socolofi would be an excellent addition as well.
I like the white socolofi - pretty cool!

For a fifth species, I'm not sure, but the you might be able to get away with the red zebra or the perlmutt, just don't do both. The maingano is a good choice as well but you do already have a lot of dark colors in the tank.
Ooooh... I found another that I love! I love the Metriaclima estherae (OB) - I think that is one of the red zebras. Those are really neat!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
No true red or green. For red tones many view the red zebra (Metriaclima Estherae) as the closest but it's really orange. And they cross breed with yellow labs so if kept together the fry of either are a hybrid problem.
I like the OB red zebra. I'm not going to be distributing fry so would this be okay in the tank? Or should I find something else? I'm actually going to get some of the synodontis multipunctatus like you mentioned, so that should take care of the fry.

Your two labs will also crossbreed. The Afra and Callainos are good. You realize the Afra males are the only ones that are blue striped and you can only have one?
No I didn't realize that about the afras - I'll look into something else.

For white you could consider Pseudotropheus Socolofi Albino. And for black you could consider Pseudotropheus Acei Ngara.
I like the socolofi albino! I actually meant like a zebra colored fish, black and white. I don't think I really want an all black fish, because it will fade into my background.

Shoot for six fish of each species with 1m:5f ratio, except it is not as important for the labs.
Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, how about these?

6 Labidochromis caeruleus (Lions Cove I)

6 Metriaclima callianos

6 Pseudotropheus Socolofi Albino

6 Metriaclima estherae (OB)

6 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos

6 synodontis multipunctatus

I know that is 2 of the metriaclima genus, should I change one of them to something else?

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Well you are going to be sure the fry are all eaten by the other mbuna or the catfish, so no worries about hybrids. I don't know if the two metriaclima males will fight...maybe cichlidaholic will chime in or another mod.

Otherwise sounds good!

·
Registered
10 Posts
a82allison said:
Okay, how about these?

6 Labidochromis caeruleus (Lions Cove I)

6 Metriaclima callianos

6 Pseudotropheus Socolofi Albino

6 Metriaclima estherae (OB)

6 Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos

6 synodontis multipunctatus

I know that is 2 of the metriaclima genus, should I change one of them to something else?
I think that socolofi and callainos could be crossbreed. possible is also with estherae ob if the selection is not good pne. Caeruleus is too quite to live with that bad boys, so i think you must make a choise: caeruleus or maylandia.

cause you need to keep caeruleus, i propose you another possibility, that look at colours too:

labidochromis caeruleus 2/3 (yellow)
iodotropheus sprengerae 1/2 (red)
cynotilapia sp. hara gallireya reef 2/2 (white/blue barred) or labidochromis chimusulae (2/3)
melanochromis cyaneorabhdos 1/3 (blu striped)

at this point, i think it's possible to look at some haps too, like:

protomelas taeniolatus namalenje 1/2 (red/blue)
sciaenochronis fryeri iceberg 1/2 (fantastic his white/blue)
protomelas spilonotus tanzania 1/2 (yellow blue)
aulonocara sp jacobfreibergi otter point 1/3 (some red)
aulonocara sp stuartgranti 1/2 (choise the variety you prefer)

and at the end, i think you can keep a predator too:

- nombochromis venustus
- lichnochromis acuticeps
- mylochromis lateristriga mchuse.

I think, in fact, that cichlids don't live distinct by type (mbuna, peacocks, utaka, predator.......) bat lives in "habitat". In this case, all the fishes i've mentioned, frequent the rocks and the breeding is possible.

Sorry for my english.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
a82allison said:
I can't find this fish in the profiles section?? Is it also called something else?
There are some profiles on this fish around the web. The profiles section of this site isn't up-to-date for the most part. It is based on user-submissions.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
IME the yellow labs are fine with more aggressive species (see my signature).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
macguy said:
cynotilapia sp. hara gallireya reef 2/2 (white/blue barred) or labidochromis chimusulae (2/3)
Okay these are good. I'd like to have an albino species too if possible, any recs??

Would I really be able to do this successfully? Add haps/peacocks to a mbuna tank?

I'd love to be able to, but I thought that usually it doesn't work out well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
a82allison said:
macguy said:
Okay these are good. I'd like to have an albino species too if possible, any recs??

Would I really be able to do this successfully? Add haps/peacocks to a mbuna tank?

I think it's absolutely possible. It need to realiza a good layput with rock and some plants too (if you like - vallisneria) to make territory delimitation. Haps stay in the high half of the tank, while mbunas behind the rocks. Peacocks on the sand. Chois the right combination and you will have a fantastic tank :wink:

I'd love to be able to, but I thought that usually it doesn't work out well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts