Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

I have purchased a new tank which I plan to keep just Haps and peacocks in. The tank is 120 gallons 151cm x 66cm x 50cm deep.

I have always kept Mbuna so no idea on how many. I’ve watched many vids say shoot for just under half the US gallons but wanted all your imput. Which would be around 60 which seems LOADS!!!!

thanks in advance.

very excited!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice one! We just got a tank about the same size. We have mostly Mbuna though. Will be interested to see progress pics of yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats to you too! I’m hoping to get around 40 fish with a mix of haps and peacocks. Not sure if I should have more as I am planning on the over stocking plan.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so my stock list so far is:

3 yellow labs
Lwanda peacock
2 x Freiburgi peacock but one is a juvinile
Flavescent peacock
Sulphur head Mara rock
Juvinile venustus x 2 one is about 3 inches other about 4
OB adult 5 inches
Mourii hap about 4 inches
VC10 hap juvinile 4 inches
Electric blue hap
Fusco juvinile 2 inches
Eye biter juvinile 2 inches
Nyerere hap adult 3.5 inches
Livingstonii juvinile 2 inches
Dragonblood juvinile 3 inches
Ruby red peacock juvinile 2.5 inches

also have 4 catfish

decourus juvinile 3-4 inches
Feather fin juvinile 3 inches
2 x bristlenose one is a baby! Other adult

so 18 peacocks and haps plus 4 catfish giving me 22 fish in total.

what are your thoughts on my stocking? I know I have some predator haps. Should I get more to overstock off is this the correct amount of fish for my tank size. I am running 3 external canisters currently giving me 8 x turn over litres per hour. And a wave maker.

any advice is appreciated thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
This is a 60" tank and I like 18 males that look nothing alike and mature less than six inches in a 72" tank for a good level of overstocking.

·
Super Moderator
1,860 Posts
@Chrislisk, just need clarification on the tank dimensions, is it 151cm long x 50cm wide x 66cm high? I'm not sure if you meant 50cm deep as the width of the tank or the height of the tank.

The Nimbochromis venustus, N. livingstonii and N. fusco and the Eye-biter will grow too big for a 5 foot tank so consider not getting them now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all

thanks for the info. I can confirm it is a 5ft tank and the 66cm is the height so just over 2 foot. So basically my juvenile predator haps will have to leave me at some point in the future? Is it possible to keep just one? Also canyou tell me what number of peacocks and gaps I can keep if I were to get rid of the predator gaps as you advise.
Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a 60" tank and I like 18 males that look nothing alike and mature less than six inches in a 72" tank for a good level of overstocking.
So……are you suggesting I copy your stocking numbers for your 72’’ of 18 peacocks and haps in my 60’’ ?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
No I am saying you want less than 18 males that mature six inches or less. And none that look alike.

I like 12 for 48" and 18 for 72" so maybe 16 if they mature less than six inches?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahhh ok thanks. So this idea of half the total gallons in the tank for fish numbers is a load of rubbish then? So my tank is currently full if I kept my current stock list through to adults……minus the predator haps.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
For a territorial fish, the stocking is primarily determined by the length of the tank as opposed to the gallons. You can accommodate more fish in a 48" 33G tank than you can in a 36" 65G tank.

Comments on your list:

3 yellow labs
Lwanda peacock This is also jacobfreibergi. It may work better to have one jacobfreibergi/tank.
2 x Freiburgi peacock but one is a juvinile These look alike, choose one
Flavescent peacock
Sulphur head Mara rock This fish may not color well in all male, rehome
Juvinile venustus x 2 one is about 3 inches other about 4 Too big
OB adult 5 inches
Mourii hap about 4 inches Too big
VC10 hap juvinile 4 inches Too big
Electric blue hap
Fusco juvinile 2 inches Too big
Eye biter juvinile 2 inches Too big
Nyerere hap adult 3.5 inches Too aggressive, and Victorians show poor color in all-male or otherwise with Malawi IME.
Livingstonii juvinile 2 inches Too big
Ruby red peacock juvinile 2.5 inches Looks like dragonblood (red/pink/orange coloration) choose one or the other.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
S
For a territorial fish, the stocking is primarily determined by the length of the tank as opposed to the gallons. You can accommodate more fish in a 48" 33G tank than you can in a 36" 65G tank.

Comments on your list:

3 yellow labs
Lwanda peacock This is also jacobfreibergi. It may work better to have one jacobfreibergi/tank.
2 x Freiburgi peacock but one is a juvinile These look alike, choose one
Flavescent peacock
Sulphur head Mara rock This fish may not color well in all male, rehome
Juvinile venustus x 2 one is about 3 inches other about 4 Too big
OB adult 5 inches
Mourii hap about 4 inches Too big
VC10 hap juvinile 4 inches Too big
Electric blue hap
Fusco juvinile 2 inches Too big
Eye biter juvinile 2 inches Too big
Nyerere hap adult 3.5 inches Too aggressive, and Victorians show poor color in all-male or otherwise with Malawi IME.
Livingstonii juvinile 2 inches Too big
Ruby red peacock juvinile 2.5 inches Looks like dragonblood (red/pink/orange coloration) choose one or the other.
o o

So I’m my new upgraded 120g tank it looks like most the fish I have I need to get rid of. So much for the upgrade ☹

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
So out of interest how would u stock my 120g 5 foot tank. Thanks
I like timid haps and peacocks.

Aulonocara
Maleri Island
Usisya
Ngara
Rubescens
Turkis
Lwanda

Haps
Placidochromis electra
Protomelas marginatus
Otopharynx tetrastigma
Copadichromis chrysonotus
Mylochromis ericotaenia

Mbuna
Yellow lab 1m:4f

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That’s really helpful thank you. I may try to start to swap future issues out now. Interestingly I removed the Nyereyi last night as it was attacking a few Gish even my male venustus who is double his size! It’s tricky trying to get the two fit mix of fish that work together aesthetically and in personality. For some odd reason I thought I could stock this tank much heavier than I can. Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oddly enough it’s the in theory least aggressive fish that own the tank currently. My flavescent peacock is the worst! Beats the others up

1 - 20 of 20 Posts