Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks ago I talked about a 120 tank I picked up for cheap on CL. Well I stumbled onto a sale at a big box store and got a FX6 for 249. I moved all the media from an Eheim 2217 into the FX6 and got the tank up and going. Added 150# of pool filter sand, about 90# of rocks and dropped 12 fish in it today. Here is the stock list.

1 Otopharynx lithobates Yellow Blaze
2 Nimbochromis venustus Venustus
1 Cyphotilapia frontosa Frontosa
1 Paralabidochromis sauvagei Rock Kribensis
1 Aulonocara stuartgranti Maleri*** Sunshine
1 Dimidiochromis compressiceps Malawi Eye Biter
1 Aulonocara stuartgranti (Undu Reef) Blue Neon
1 Sciaenochromis fryeri Ahli Electric Blue
2 Aulonocara stuartgranti (Chinuni) Red Shoulder
1 Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan Reef

All are in the 2-4 inch range except the Rock Krib as he is around 5 1/2. Cant wait to watch all these guys grow up.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they are on the substrate. The stack is pretty stable, not too worried about it toppling over if they dig, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to put the rocks down on the glass.

·
2,088 Posts
hartebreak said:
they are on the substrate. The stack is pretty stable, not too worried about it toppling over if they dig, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to put the rocks down on the glass.
Absolutely rethink this. It is not a question of if the fish will excavate, but when. Tanks can support a ton of rocks when they rest directly on the bottom, but if they are allowed to topple, it does not take much for a catastrophe to occur.

·
Registered
641 Posts
hartebreak said:
My tanks are acrylic so the cabinets underneath support the entire volume of the tank bottom. And acrylic doesn't crack/break as easy as glass. With glass aquariums you really need to lay the rocks directly on the glass, or as alot of people do put egg crate in first then lay rocks on that, then sand.

·
Registered
424 Posts
hartebreak said:
When I was researching everyone said they dig. After seeing for myself, I wouldn't call it digging, digging is too light of a term, they excavate! If I had it on the substrate, my stacks would've come down.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I moved everything last night, all rocks are sitting on the glass. I did remove about 2 gallons of sand now as about 1/2 the rocks would have been buried otherwise. Thanks for the advice on this!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts