Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got it set up yesterday still need to add a bit more rock and change a few things cycling now.

Anyway I have access to a lot of cool looking rocks but after awhile it always got covered in brown so I figured I wouldn't worry about the color of the rock more the placement going for the more natural look.
I am hoping all this will for the most part get covered with algae, I didn't use PFS this time, I went with African cichlid mix so will see if I get the dreaded diatoms or not? :lol

Let me know what you think and or what you might change up lighting for one suggestions on that as well. Thanks, Jim

Tell ya one thing the lower back was a little sore this morning after lifting placing,moving and removing about 200lbs of rock yesterday. :lol: one thing also noted about an acrylic tank you can only put just so big of a rock in the tank just wont fit through the openings.

·
Registered
464 Posts
looks good, natural.. once the water clears up it will look nice. I do agree you need to change up the lighting.. You need to add some blue .. i run a blue and white mix..

here is how my lighting looks

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, here is my current set up.

[/quote]

I plan on taking the vertical rock on the right and placing it in the right corner of the new tank with rocks around the base of it. I just ran out of time the other day.

Lighting wise I will use the light from the 46 which has a 50/50 acitnic in it, not sure what my other light might be, may go with some type of spot lighting would love to get a shimmer look. I also may go the route of a lower light/darker tank once the algae kicks in?

I did try to break the sloping rock in half on the right side in the 110 to create a crack between the two pcs but to no avail I still may try with a roto hammer, there is a hair line crack already so it may work?

My only concern about adding more rock to the back is they almost have to lay against the acrylic, the back appears to be bowing as does the front hopefully that is normal, but I don't want to put any more stress on it as is? So far nothing is against the back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would NOT worry about diatoms ! They are merely part of the natural cycling process and once your tank cycles they should clear up naturally over time. Your tank looks real nice :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
You wont get Diatoms with the Cichlid sand, i sure didnt.. I am looking at using PFS for my 90 gallon and am concerned about Diatoms as it seems the PFS Silica is what causes them to bloom, but we'll see what happens.

I had no problems using Cichlid sand.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
I have gotten diatoms with every new tank regardless of substrate: aragonite and flourite sand for example.

I did not get diatoms when adding PFS to an existing tank.

Quite a mystery why they arrive and leave, but I can't tie it to PFS.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have yet to have any Diatom problem with any new tank setup. It will be interesting to see if adding PFS will do it.. I hope not, but i will be setting my new tank up in the next month or so.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will let you know in a couple weeks if the diatoms start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts