Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently got a 10"-12" oscar from the lfs he wont eat he just lets the food go past him he acts like he is interested and then he changes his mind. do u think i should try somme other foods with him. i am going to try to find out what the store fed him and try that out. what is a good way to introduce new foods to fish.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
How long have you had him? I'm no Oscar expert but most newly homed fish can take a few days to settle in before they start eating again.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I guess it could just be picky. If you are feeding it something different than what the last owner did, it may not like it. Ask the last owner!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i know he is hungry because i caught him eating my last sd. i hope i can get him to start eating soon because it is so stressful having a fish that wont eat what u feed them

·
Registered
18 Posts
cichlid_kid96 said:
well i know he is hungry because i caught him eating my last sd. i hope i can get him to start eating soon because it is so stressful having a fish that wont eat what u feed them
dont worry. as soon as he/she feels settled they will eat. oscars can be very picky and may only eat when you are not looking. i have 4 all together, 2 are great eaters and are very social with me. the other 2, drama queens! i walk up to the tank they lay on the bottom and the never eat when i am looking. i would give it a few more days and maybe try giving a treat like blood worms. :thumb:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He actually ate yesterday. I called the lfs yesterday and asked them what they fed him and they said pellets. So I went and got some hikari pellets and brine shrimp flakes and he ate both. I guess I was just a little worried because I've never had an oscar not eat for me. Everyone I have had were big eaters and ate on either the first or second day.

Thanks everyone for the advice

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep actually got him to eat out of my hand. Its crazy one minute he won't eat at all and the next he's almost eating one of my smaller fish as they are grabbing food literally.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my new Oscar, I just got him, he's around 7" long.
I've tried to feed him pellets, sticks, and earth worms but he just lets them pass by, I also have a Dempsey in there and he eats just fine.

I picked them up late afternoon on Friday, he's very active but is a bit shy if I come near the tank.

Any suggestions?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.