Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with nerite snails in their tanks. I have a 60g tank with 4 yellow labs and some fry and 4 salousi. I have a small 10 g with some community fish in it and some nerites and I have one guy (Bilbo Baggins) that likes to go on adventures every night. Every morning we play find the snail. I know how he gets out (next to the HOB filter) but can't prevent it. Any suggestions? Would like to put him into the 60g because there is plenty of algae for him to clean. Wondering if its a food issue but I have a couple of others in there that make no attempt to vacate the premises. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
40,716 Posts
I tried nerites with mbuna, haps and peacocks and Tanganyikans. They did the best with Tanganyikans.

I did have one batch that kept escaping the tank. I've heard sometimes they are not acclimated long enough by the vendor...they live in brackish water in nature and may be uncomfortable in our freshwater tanks.

I have had other batches that never escaped or even hung out under the surface. I attributed this to animals that were fully acclimated to freshwater.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I did it. I put 4 nerites in my 60g Mbuna tank. So my traveling snail was "happy" for a while but there was a lot of food...algae all over my river rocks. Now he is back to his old ways sneaking out at night...like a teenaged boy. I think we are going to take him to the St. Johns river and let him live his life in some brackish water. I don't know what else to do with him. They have done a wonderful job on my tank though and the fish don't seem to care one bit about them. I feared that they might try to pick them off the wall of the tank but they don't care at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts