Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

been a while since i had some cichlids, and went to the auction in ATL today. i got some Trets, but i am doing some research on them and im confused.

most of the pictures i see are whitish / blue with black stripes...however, mine are dark brown with 5 black stripes.

also, please let me know any useful information.

thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
how many strips does it have, if it has 5, then it is simply a strangely colored tret. if it has 6 i would venture to say you have a misidentified fish and it is actually a Neolamprologus sexfasciatus. the sexfasciatus are similar in shape and can be a white/bluish with black stripes but are typically a yellowish color with black stripes.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I agree try to post a pic. I've never had them but think they are the cutiest things from the pics I've seen. Very mean fish from what I've read, I think. Maybe the color has something to do with their size? How big are they? Really a pic would help alot.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would give them a week to settle in and see what colour they are at the end of the week. I am saying this as i saw a bunch of them in my local fish shop that had just came in and they were really dark coloured with the black bars no white was visable they did look terrible and to be honest i was shocked because i have 3 and mine never looked like this.

Anyway a few days later i was back down the fish shop and he had quite a few left and OMG what a diffrence they were pure white with the black bands and blue fins just like mine.

So your ones could possibly still be trets but they are just really stressed out hence the colour of them.

Give it a few days then give us an update but if you bought them from a good fish shop and they were sold to you as 5 bar trets then i would think this is what you have they just don't look that great just now but that should quickly change. Unless you have been very unlucky and you have been misold the fish.

Oh just to mention i have already said i have 3 in a 55g tank and they have been fine with each other up until now (6 months) i won't say they don't chase each other if they get too close to one another because they do, but they don't do anything drastic to each other or any of my other fish. I was also a bit shocked once i had bought them and then started to read up on them especially about there aggression/temprement but fingers crossed i won't have to witness this for a while yet as they are a very beautiful fish and don't want to give them up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Oh just read your post agian and noticed that you have bought them from an auction and not a fish shop.

I think for a fact now that you defiantly have 5 bar trets if that was what they were classed as and they will have looked this colour before you even bought them because they will of been stressed and unsettled with being moved to the auction and then on to you.

When trets are under a lot of stress they look very **** and very diffrent from the pictures you see when they are coloured up when not under stressful conditions. When stressed they still have the black bars but all their white goes to a very horrible brown/darkbrown colour.

You are going to defiantly get a surprise in a day or too as i wouldn't think you have been sold a diffrent fish from what they were labled as from an auction.

Look forward with your reply.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, i found out they are indeed Trets because one turned over night to whitish / blue with 5 black bars.....so i am guessing they were highly stressed from the American Cichlid auction in ATL and from all the transportation.

i removed my gravel substrate and added 99% Quartz silica sand today and added some shale for hiding places.

what other information can you guys give me on them?
when do they start breeding?

also, they are roughly 1 - 1.5 inches right now, so any more info would be great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts