Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am going to pick up a proven pair of these. Can anybody give me some information on them?

I would like to know the basics such as:
Temperament
aggression when spawning/rearing fry
How large of a territory they claim.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
A video is worth a thousand words. :) Check it out. I wouldn't go for this if you're planning to give the temporalis any chance at all of establishing themselves. I think the lepidio's would have been a better choice and I'd start them all as juvies. If you really want tetracanthus, get juvies. Otherwise, your tank's going to look like that video in no time, and then where are the temporalis going to be? Probably hiding under rocks.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Prov,

Hmmm, I was going to keep a egg crate divider up to start with to let the temps get established. On top of that I am starting with 20 temps, some adults, some sub adult. No doubt I would have to siphon out some of the tetracanthus brood each time. Now I really do need some type of fry eater in the tank.

With the mentioned "plan" do you still see it not working out?

I have a 40br I could setup even though I don't need too. I really want to try this fish.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
A divider would have been my other suggestion. That's what I did. But you can see the fry problem you're going to have. I've never seen temporalis eat fry, maybe they would. I don't blame you for wanting the fish, as it's on my wish list too. Very cool. And if you know what you're getting into and have a backup plan, then go for it. You're just going to at least need a piscivore in another tank to deal with all the fry. You could have some fat little calvus or comps. :) Or wait and see if the temporalis handle that for you.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He has some comps that I could add to the order. 2" for 15 bucks and 3" for $34. I could grab a few.

What do you think about the temporalis being able to establish themselves? I know it will be a tense setup, but can they hold themselves? I want tetracanthus, but the temps are the main show of the 125g.

I appreciate you helping me so much Tim.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
What do you think about the temporalis being able to establish themselves? I know it will be a tense setup, but can they hold themselves? I want tetracanthus, but the temps are the main show of the 125g
This is what I enjoy about the hobby. You get to see what's working and what's not and make adjustments, if possible, to make it work. That's what I did with mine. I added the divider long enough to let my pulcher daffodils pair up and have some broods. It's gratifying to pull that off. But, I like to work challenge tanks. Not all do.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess I will try it and see.

Anybody else want to chime in with some information about Tetracanthus?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
That's my only complaint with these fish. Very cool, but when you get up into the larger lamps, you get a pair of fish in a large tank with bazillions of fry that you don't know what to do with. It'd be cool to see it once, but then what? If anything else can survive in the tank, it'd probably be hiding all the time. Maybe their bark is worse than their bite. The one in the video did look a bit skittish, which surprised me. I've not kept them yet because I'm afraid I'd have to commit an entire 6' tank to them and I'm not ready to do that. One day though, as there are several large lamps I'd like to keep. I'd be tempted to try to pair it up with some other equally large fish. Maybe that'd be the wrong approach though. Maybe the telmats won't appear to be a threat to them and they won't be harassed. Only one way to find out Aaron. :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tim,

I am really excited about trying out this combo. I had the Pair of tetracanthus put on hold today and I am searching for some adult temps. Hopefully I can find somebody willing to let go of a good number of adults.

With the divider I'm hoping both parties will be able to form their territories. Let me ask you this Tim, when the Tetracanthus enters the temps territory will one male temp fend off the intruder or will the females help as well? How do your temps respond to a pulcher invasion?

Second, I am going over different ideas for fry control. I wonder if some sort of danio or similar species could work? I don't have any bottom territory to work with so I need a open water predator. Ofcourse this will be hit or miss because the Tetracanthus will want to snack on most smaller fish.

Ah, planning challenge tanks are so fun. Usually your plan never works, but its still enjoyable.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Let me ask you this Tim, when the Tetracanthus enters the temps territory will one male temp fend off the intruder or will the females help as well? How do your temps respond to a pulcher invasion?
Depends. My dominant female will take on intruders, but the smaller females would just as soon hide under a rock. The pulchers don't try though. They all seemed trained not to cross the DMZ. I've also removed enough rock from the temps territory to not make it appealing to them. Male temps are feisty, but my large male pulcher is bigger than my male temp, so he backs down. Every once in a while the male temp will start to wander over the sand toward their rocks like he used to, but I can see him change his mind and turn around and retreat. My temporalis dominated in the beginning which is why I put up the divider, but now I think the pulcher's could take over whatever they wanted if they decided to.

Keep in mind that if you get something to eat the tetracanthus fry, they'll eat the temporalis fry also. Maybe that's ok, but I always enjoyed watching them grow out and integrate with the group. I think I'd wait and see on that. If needed, giant danio's might fit the bill. They're quick enough and cheap enough. They'd help keep things active too, but not sure you'll need that.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do you fix dividers inside the tank?

How many males defend a territory in your setup? You say dominant male, is he the only one?

Trying to comprehend how much the temps will be able to handle. I feel like I may be putting a light weight into the ring with a heavy weight and expecting a even brawl.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
How do you fix dividers inside the tank?
I made mine out of plexiglas and used the suction cups designed to hold strings of lights onto glass to secure them. You have to cut the plexi about 3/16" or so smaller than the front to back dimension. Use the thinner plexi like for doors and windows so it has some flex. You don't want to put pressure on the glass. You can also probably find a divider online ready to go.

How many males defend a territory in your setup? You say dominant male, is he the only one?
Every tank is different. I pulled all mine except for my breeding pair and a few that eluded capture. Depends on how many you add, and sizes, etc what you'll end up with.

Trying to comprehend how much the temps will be able to handle. I feel like I may be putting a light weight into the ring with a heavy weight and expecting a even brawl.
You have to be unafraid to try this stuff or you'll never know. Me, personally, I wouldn't be afraid to move ahead with this as you've planned. This is the interesting stuff. This is the good stuff.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm glad I am getting the tetracanthus first so I will have chance to observe just how aggressive they are.

Prov you are right! I am going to have to experiment and stop asking all these questions lol.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Prov,

Do you think cheaper tang sources such as aquabid, hobbyist, ect will pick up once spring comes around?

I went with adult tetracanthus so I am pretty much stuck with going with adult temps unless I want to keep the divider up for a WHILE.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not sure whats up with the Temporalis "line". Could not get shipping times straight and a lot of the temps were sold to someone else. No fault to the seller, he just wanted to ship the fish this week and I only have time to go to the airport Monday and Tuesday which did not work for him.

Tetracanthus comes in Tuesday.

If I have to wait on the Temps thats fine, I am sure I will enjoy the Tetracanthus alone for awhile. May have to get them something cheap and fast to make sure the male has something to expend some energy on.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have heard Tetracanthus described as the devil of the fish world, to only being mildly aggressive. I'm guessing there is a lot of variability in their attitude.

Would you put in a cheap pairing fish like convicts maybe to gauge the aggression? I want to find out before I spend a lot of money on fish. I am going to use a divider, but I worry what if the tetracanthus got past the divider.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.