Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Not common. I haven't kept it, but requirements should be the same for other tanganyikan neolamps of similar size.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Never seen a genuine one for sale myself.
I guess you have read this in your research?
http://www.suephoto.com/index.php/serwis/strona/8/45
Not extraordinary but not the ordinary iether.
Dunno maybe someone near you breeds them. Not commonly imported I understand.
Be sure they are genuine before paying big money for them.
A number of worthless Lamp x Altolamp crosses look rather similar if you catch my drift.

All the best James

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
They're an uncommon fish because they are comparatively unattractive. There were adds for them locally about a year ago in my area so they're in the hobby but pretty uncommon. I've not kept them before either but their husbandry should be similar to that of other lamps.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a genuine..
My LFS has had it for sometime, I just never really paid any attention because I didn't find it that attractive. Albeit, rather unique looking. It is being sold for $99. I don't know if it is worth that to me, as I don't find it attractive. The appeal i suppose is its oddment.

Would you guys consider it a $99 rarity?

·
Registered
656 Posts
If it were a pair for $99 , I'd say maybe, but what are you gonna do with one? You'll probably never find a mate for it, and it ain't all that pretty to look at.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Way overpriced. They're not common, but not that uncommon nor in demand to ask that much. I've seen them occasionally on online lsits. Even with shipping, you'll spend less, get six to start, etc. Someone's got them on a list right now, updated 2/26, so may still be there. $9 each. Get 6, add air freight, about $110. PM me if interested in where I found them.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
There aren't many Tanganyikans I find ugly, but if my fronts swallowed one of my leleupi, and spat it back up half digested after a while, I'd imagine it would look something like this :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol..
Oh common, they're not that ugly.. Not to say they're attractive!

I'm not really that interested in it.. Thank you prov.. I do find it unique, but not so much that I want to spend that much for it. I was mainly curious why it was so expensive. If it was extremely rare I might have added it.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Some fish are rare because they're hard to find. Some are rare because they UUUgly! :lol:

Just like people for instance. Some of my buddies are still single because they haven't found the right person, some of them are just... You get it.

They're no "Flower Horn" but they're no Jessica Alba either!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts