Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm new here. So I think I've made a vital mistake when buying some new fish. So I have a 300L with a neolamprologus cylindricus in and I got offered some caudopunctatus red fins in my excitement I did a quick search and they seemed to be a good fit the LFS said it should be okay so I paid for 6 of them. After getting home I've been told that the cylindricus shouldn't be paired with any other neolamprologus. Will my cylindricus kill my caudopunctatus if I keep them together? The tanks has plenty of rock work and caves even shells that no one is using. Sorry if my grammar is bad I'm dyslexic.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Your post is fine, better than many, so no need to feel self-conscious about posting here.

N. cylindricus are nasty, and will bully any smaller fishes, and many larger ones as well. The N. caudopunctatus may survive for a while if the tank is large and they have lots of hiding places, but this will be a stressful existence for them, and there is simply no way around that. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but best you think about Plan B going forward. Good luck. :fish:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I have him an 300L with lots of rock work right now. And they will be in a pack of 6 would that potentially be enough room while I look at other options for them?

·
Registered
505 Posts
redeyeee said:
Thank you for the reply. I have him an 300L with lots of rock work right now. And they will be in a pack of 6 would that potentially be enough room while I look at other options for them?
Yes, they should be fine for a while; it's just the long-term viability of this arrangement that is likely to be problematic for the caudopunctatus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again much appreciated and thank you! I posted hear because I'm seeing so much confusing yes and no answers. Some are saying yes if I keep their territory separately in a decent sized tank and others saying different. Even the guy who sold them is really intelligent when it comes to cichlids I've used him for years for all my other stuff. The caudopunctatus actually haven't arrived yet but are paid for I could possibly ask the shop to take them back but they order then in just for me unfortunately.

·
Registered
505 Posts
redeyeee said:
...I posted here because I'm seeing so much confusing yes and no answers. Some are saying yes if I keep their territory separately in a decent sized tank...
Those are best-case-analysis scenarios, and it can happen, but rarely lasts long-term. Usually you have to choose tankmates for cylindricus very carefully, and caudopunctatus is not going to be on that list. :fish:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what has gotten me a tad bit annoyed I've got all fish from the same supplier and we actually spent 3 weeks looking at tanks mates which so when I saw the opportunity to grab I did. So now I'm know this hole time he has actually been wrong about N. Cylindricus I'm abit frustrated. Much definitely appreciate the advice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts