Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The brevis would make nice snacks for the frontosa.... most often.

Sometimes it works though, as much as it shouldn't.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
::Update::
I removed the birchardis from my tank
I removed the brevis from my tank
I added about 6 days ago 3 synodontis multipunctatus

On Friday, I added a 3" black male Altolamprologus calvus and two 3" brown male Altolamprologus compressiceps. The first day the three were shy and stayed in hiding as I had expected. It didn't last long. On Saturday, I found the two compressiceps showing aggression towards the calvus. I thought it was going to be temporary but the agression is still going on. Right now I'm feeling more stressed than the calvus :eek:

Here's a video:

What advice could you give me before it's too late? Perhaps I should add females or should I wait a couple days to see if the aggression will stop?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Male Altolamprologus will always show aggression to each other. If you are going to keep them, you'll need a bunch more to spread the aggression.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I had 2 male calvus in my 72" tank and had to remove one.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
The aggression in that video doesn't look life threatening yet. Male altolamps will develop a pecking order and once it is established things may calm down.

Your calvus is responding well to the aggression at this point. If he continues to fed and hold is held up high as he is now, I'd give it a little more time and see how the pecking order develops.

I would add more as Fogelhund suggested.

Btw: very nice job on your aquascape!

Russ

·
Registered
152 Posts
You could also try rescaping with more rockpiles if it doesn't settle. It will give more hiding places / territory definition. Great tank btw.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks starplayer and Razzo for the compliment.

Fogelhund and Razzo I took your suggestion and added 4 more comps (wasn't cheap since these were all WC). LFS had no more black Calvus or I would have tried to balance out the numbers. Maybe I can find someone that is willing to trade.

Here's the total stock:
1 male black calvus
6 brown compressiceps 3m/3f
16 frontosas
3 julies
3 synodontis multipuntatus
2 small pleco (I'm not sure how or when they got in there)

The aggression on the calvus has reduced significantly. All together I'm pleased with the addition. Please comment on my stock list. Am I okay with this?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Are your brown comps from Kipili?

Glad it is working out :)

Use rock formations to create territories and block "line of sight" to other territories ;)

Russ

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Razzo said:
Are your brown comps from Kipili?

Glad it is working out :)

Use rock formations to create territories and block "line of sight" to other territories ;)

Russ
No, they are not from Kipili. I was told they are black "Babulu" or "Babolu" region comps. Does this sound right? I may have miss heard. The closest name I could find on the map was Kabulo which is further north west of Kipili.

Do you have any pictures of good rock formation with block line of sight to give me for an example?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts