Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`ve had these 2 for a year now. Not sure if the smaller patterned one is a female, I assumed so but as of yet there has been no fry.
The two share the same rock pile and considering the outright aggressive nature of the larger one, I find it impossible to believe two males could co-exist for that long.
Both aggressive and kept with a 6" Fossochromis Rostratus, Giant danios and a young group of Placidochromis milomo.

Sorry for the cellphone pics, I don't have my DSLR right now, I can take better ones later
To me they look to be some kind of Neolamp.

There are a lot of interesting Tang species in my city for very expensive prices, I do see cylindricus fry surrendered to my LFS occasionally. These two were surrendered already at about 2-3". My guess is that they were too aggressive for their stocking.

I`ve been keeping them for over a year and it would be nice to finally know what they are. both have long iridescent blue ventrals and face markings

fish 1 (smaller, possibly female)

Fish 2, the big boss of the tank

Thanks in advance!
Rafini

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Not too sure what it is, other then I think it is lake Tang Lamprogoline.
Could be a hybrid....or something not very common. When ever I go to Calgary, I always visit the LFS's and I am very impressed with the cichlid selection there; almost always seeing rare and unusual cichlids for sale that I have never previously seen in person :eek:
I've done some searching and have come up with 2 that I think maybe, might be a match.
The first one under the name "Neolamprologus sp. pectoralis elongate". The only picture in captivity I could find:http://www.cichlids.ru/mcforum/index.php?/topic/20315-neolamprologus-sp-pectoralis-elongate/ It has the long pelvic fins with blue trim, similar shape and markings. It's described as having the shape and snout of Neolamprologus nigriventris and the large pectoral fins
(fins beside the gills) of N. pectoralis.
Another fish, I think your fish might have resemblance to goes by the trade name "Chalinochromis sp. bifrenatus gold" or "Chalinochromis bifrenatus orange". Some pictures here: https://www.google.ca/search?q=chal...dAhVHrFQKHYccCiUQsAR6BAgDEAE&biw=1600&bih=763 Even a youtube video in breeding coloration:
Might be a good idea to post more pics of your fish.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do see a definite resemblance to the Chalinochromis Bifrenatus.

I thought that it also looks a lot like Neolamprologus Bifasciatus
https://www.google.ca/search?q=lamprolo ... tc-1YE_uAM:

I know that the tang keepers here in Calgary are very specific about not hybridizing or mixing lakes etc, they seem to take it seriously. considering it greatly resembles several pure species I'm willing to believe they're not hybrids especially considering that they weren't small when surrendered.
although yeah there is a chance they are hybrids also.

which do they most resemble to you guys?
Neolamprologus Bifasciatus
Chalinochromis Bifrenatus
or Neolamprologus sp. pectoralis Elongate ?

Thanks for your responces guys!
I`ll try to get some better pics when I get my camera back, my Gf is sifting through vacation pics currently
Rafini

1 - 4 of 4 Posts