Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want these two comps to breed.

Altolamprologus compressiceps Muzi gold head

Right now, they have no interest. They hang out together but don't get romantic.
They are housed in a 55 gallon tank with 6 calvus (the calvus spawn all the time).
Somebody on this site once suggested I move the comps to their own tank, hence my question....

I would like to put these two gold head comps into a 30 gallon tank which currently has 35 F1 orange fin comp fry in it (which are approx. 1.50" to 1.75" each).

Do you think I could put these 35 orange fin comp fry into my 55 gallon calvus fry tank? Right now there is, roughly, 150 calvus fry in the tank (which range in size from 1.0" to 1.5"). The two species are very easy to tell apart so that would not be a problem. Would their be any conspecific aggression between the comp and clavus fry at this size? The sheer number of fry in the tank should diffuse aggression problems, right?

More info: the 150 calvus fry will be shipped out within a couple months. Probably the same for the 35 orange fin comp fry (maybe sooner). So, they would be housed together for maybe two months at the most.

Here's a couple pics of the calvus fry in the 55 (I think there is easily room for 35 more fry):

Here's the 30 gallon tank with the orange fin comp fry in it

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
929 Posts
Oops..Misread the post. :oops: Thought you were intending to put your full sized Comps in with the Calvus fry - was going to advise againt it! :lol:

If you're sure you can reliably ID them, and you don't think water quality will be an issue, I think it would be ok. As you said, aggression shouldn't be a problem with that many fish in the tank.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jrf said:
Oops..Misread the post. :oops: Thought you were intending to put your full sized Comps in with the Calvus fry - was going to advise againt it! :lol:

If you're sure you can reliably ID them, and you don't think water quality will be an issue, I think it would be ok. As you said, aggression shouldn't be a problem with that many fish in the tank.
They are very easy to tell the difference in many respects.

Also, the water quality in the 55 gallon calvus fry tank is really good. I change water every two or three days and nitrates are very low (5 ppm). I use the water from this tank as tempered water for my water changes in the 10 gallon calvus (new fry) tank. This seems to help improve the survival rate of new fry in the first month of life.

Do you think the adult comps will like the 30 gallon tank all to themselves?

Thanks again,
Russ

·
Registered
714 Posts
Maybe it's just my thoughts, but I think they'd be pretty timid in a tank by themselves. I don't know much about altolamps, (you're the master breeder right?) but I just think they might be really timid...maybe some danios as dithers????
Best of luck,

Manoah

·
Registered
929 Posts
Since they’re not breeding now, it’s worth a shot in my opinion. Only concern that comes to mind is that the male isn’t going to have much distract him. So, he may over harass the female - I ran into that problem with my Calvus pair at one point. However, if that turns out to be the case, you can try adding something else to the tank as Manoah suggests.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Russ - I've had 4 inkfins, 4 whites, and 3 goldheads growing out together and haven't observed any problems yet. But I have *had* 2 problems...

I had a 4th goldhead that died not too long after it arrived. It wasn't physically damaged in any way that I could tell - I moved it to a QT tank but it passed within a few hours.

I also have a goldhead that has incurred damage to (what I would call) the bridge of the hose. It's obviously dislocated or broken. The fish eats well and defends a small territory. It's been this way for 2-3 months now and appears to be coping just fine. I wish I could do something but he's so small...

Speaking of which, when the arrived they were pretty much all at 1" and now range from 1.5-2".

The only shows of domination I observe are between the calvus - never aimed at the comps.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Manoah Marton said:
Maybe it's just my thoughts, but I think they'd be pretty timid in a tank by themselves. I don't know much about altolamps, (you're the master breeder right?) but I just think they might be really timid...maybe some danios as dithers????
Best of luck,

Manoah
Thanks guys :)

Another other thoughts on possible dithers for the 30 gallon gold head comp tank?
I can't do cyps as I have been banned for life from ever owning them again becuase I am a cyp killer.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Maybe they just do not like one another? I have the opposite prob my TB comp group breed but my WC calvus (male and female) will not. Or at least not yet.

Is the female (and male) taking pellets and using a place she can get into but the male not?
Find that seems to help but as I say no expert on breeding Altolamps.

Thing that worries me about a 30g idea is if they fall out there is precious little escape space for the sub dom one.
As they are pretty close in size this could I guess be the male or the female.
If the male then he could be in serious trouble very quickly as he would have no place or space to get away from the female.

Your experience kind of matches mine. Dunno but do Altolamps always breed best when allowed to make their own choice of mates?

All the best James

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I put them in the 30 gallon tonight. I'll have to keep a close eye on them - no dithers yet. Do you think my syno cats would work temporarily as dithers?

Both male and female comps are aboput the same size (3.5") which surprised me as the male looks bigger.

Russ

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'd just keep a close eye on them for now. You may find they do ok together. My experience is limited to my 6 Calvus. But, mine have never actually injured each other. One nips and the other swims off and hides. Worst case senario, one ends up in an upper corner of the tank and has to be moved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts