Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got 5 yellow labs, 5 Cobalts, and 5 Cynotilapia "Mystery Fish" (supposedly Afra Lion's Cove - but there's no color on them at all yet), as well as 3 male peacocks.

All fish are juveniles, the Cobalts are the oldest, probably 2.5" or so, including the tail. They are also ********. I got them about 2 months ago and I have at least 3 males. Two of them are constantly lip locking, and while it's fun to watch, they're also tearing ass around the tank and stressing everybody else out. The labs are okay, the peacocks, mysteriously, are okay. But the Afras haven't colored up at all.

What the **** is wrong with my Afra?

So my options are:
1) Get rid of the Cobalts.
2) Get rid of the Afras.

My suspicions are that the Cobalts might be stressing the Afras out so they don't color up. Is it possible it just takes Afras a long time to color up?

These are about 1.5"-2" long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,566 Posts
gaqua said:
What the #%$& is wrong with my Afra?

So my options are:
1) Get rid of the Cobalts.
2) Get rid of the Afras.

My suspicions are that the Cobalts might be stressing the Afras out so they don't color up. Is it possible it just takes Afras a long time to color up?

These are about 1.5"-2" long.
Well, at 1.5" - 2", Cynotilapia sp. lion Lion's Cove should be pretty well fully colored (if they are dominant). If they are all dull brown/gold, then you either have all females (doubtful but possible) or they are getting bullied around too much.

C. sp. lion Lion's Cove will easily be breeding at that size. Personally, I'd get rid of the Cobalts.

May I as why you said this?
gaqua said:
5 Cynotilapia "Mystery Fish" (supposedly Afra Lion's Cove - but there's no color on them at all yet)
Are you saying "supposedly" because you bought them as "Afra Lion's Cove" but not showing the right coloring yet? Or did you buy them as "Mystery Fish" but don't know what they are for sure yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why_spyder said:
May I as why you said this?
gaqua said:
5 Cynotilapia "Mystery Fish" (supposedly Afra Lion's Cove - but there's no color on them at all yet)
Are you saying "supposedly" because you bought them as "Afra Lion's Cove" but not showing the right coloring yet? Or did you buy them as "Mystery Fish" but don't know what they are for sure yet?
I bought them as Cynotilapia Afra "Lion's Cove".

However, they look like this:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
They are hybrids....No doubt.

Even if they were pure breeds i would be more inclined to get rid of them or better yet, set them up in an envoronment with other strong stroppy fish.
From i have heard them little buggers are bad news once they mature so getting rid of them now might save you some headaches.

Cobalts don't usually get stressed to easily they are cappable of holding there own
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,566 Posts
Gibbs said:
They are hybrids....No doubt.

Even if they were pure breeds i would be more inclined to get rid of them or better yet, set them up in an envoronment with other strong stroppy fish.
From i have heard them little buggers are bad news once they mature so getting rid of them now might save you some headaches.
Well, I wouldn't jump to saying they are hybrids. There are other Cynotilapia species located at Lion's Cove. Personally - I'd just grow them out until they are about 2"- 2.5" and then post up a good side-profile photo of them. They aren't the "lion-type" but could be the "mbamba-type".

Gibbs - like with any mbuna type, people have different experiences with the "lion-type". Mine used to be holy terrors in my 55 (two dominant males), but now have really settled down a lot since they've been moved into a 100 gallon stock tank. Heavy stocking and removing or even adding a male to a species group can change how everyone reacts to each other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,306 Posts
Remove 2 of the male Cobalts, or add more females.

What size tank is this?

Both the Cobalts and the "afra" may be too boisterous for the peacocks long term.

Kim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cichlidaholic said:
Remove 2 of the male Cobalts, or add more females.

What size tank is this?

Both the Cobalts and the "afra" may be too boisterous for the peacocks long term.

Kim
They're in this tank as a grow-out tank right now, it's a 3ft tank. I've got a 4ft tank I'll be moving them to once they're big enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,306 Posts
A 4 ft tank will not hold 3 male Cobalts...Believe me...You will need alot more space than that, unless you plan to go single species and add a ton of females to that 4 ft tank!

Cobalt males are very intolerant of each other, I bred them for a few years and I've tried every combination imaginable in a 4 ft tank.

Kim
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top