Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if my chocolate is eating my blackskirt tetras, some of which are huge, what other tetras might i be able to use? bleeding hearts? i heard they get bigger.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
697 Posts
A little bigger. About 3 inches, but it may not matter to your chocolate. Your best bet would be discus tetra.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome, thank you adam79.
honestly, i have never heard of these before... just looked them up and they seem very cool. are they common in stores? i dont think i have ever noticed them.

says they may nibble an occasional plant, but are they fin nippers at all?

thank you again, very helpful.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think most people underestimate the predatory abilities and size of chocolates. I think most of the tetras that you will find available in LFS will end up as snacks. Best bet would be silver dollars, unless your tank is planted.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yeah, either them or possibly columbian tetras or perhaps giant danios

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have never kept discus tetras and can't recall if I have ever seen them for sale. I came across them on a great world-wide search for a smaller alternative to silver dollars as dithers for oscars. From what I understand, they max out around 3.5 inches and have nice deep round bodies. They are kinda like a mini SD.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mini silver dollars is exactly what I thought when i saw them.

my blackskirts are larger than any columbian tetras i have seen so i think that would end the same. good suggestion though.

my tank is not necissarily planted, but i do have plants. i keep a large amount of floating anubias. my chocolate does mess with them, but they are thriving. he loves the cover so thats the only reason i have not dont sd's yet. you think the anubias would stand a chance?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts