Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 125 gallon aquarium with about 50 african cichlids. I used to have about half Demasoni and half yellow labs, but my Demasoni kept killing each other off. So I'd catch the holding females and put them in a 29 gallon to replenish the supply, but lately I've been lazy, mostly because I have to take out all the rocks in my 125 to catch a fish. Now I'm down to about four Demasoni, maybe three or four Red Zebra, and about 40 yellow labs that have been breeding right in the tank with no problems. I'm looking to add some compatible africans, any ideas? I'm looking for a variety of color and fish that won't crossbreed. Any ideas are welcome. Here's a video of my tank about a month ago.

I've since rearranged my rocks and removed the decorations to provide more swimming room so I can add more fish. Here's a current photo:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd get rid of half the yellow labs, add a breeding group of Cynotilapia Jalo Reef or Cobue. Another group of Rustys or something like that. Maybe even add a group of 3 blue dolphins.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Here are a few ideas:
Ps. Acei
Labeotropheus Fuelleborni or Trewavasae
Ps. Williamsi
Ps. Polit
Ps. Socolofi

FYI Red Zebras hybridize with yellow labs very commonly. If you end up getting rid of all of the Demasoni, it opens up your options to any of the blue vertical barred fish (lots of options).

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kanorin said:
FYI Red Zebras hybridize with yellow labs very commonly. If you end up getting rid of all of the Demasoni, it opens up your options to any of the blue vertical barred fish (lots of options).
That's interesting. My Red Zebra have never bred in the tank, and I think I started with about 7 yellow labs about six years ago and now have about 50. I don't think they've ever cross bred because they all look like pure yellow labs to me.

I'm leaning towards some Acei and maybe some OB red zebras.

Or maybe around some Electric Blues (Sciaenochromis fryeri). There's a local breeder that has some for sale for $4.00 each.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I'll throw in one of these too, maybe just one male because I already have too much yellow in the tank.

Melanochromis johannii

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I'd strongly recommend against the single male Melanochromis Johanni. It very well may claim 1/2 of the tank for itself (and cause some bruises in the process).

That's interesting. My Red Zebra have never bred in the tank
Maybe you only have female Red Zebras???

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kanorin said:
I'd strongly recommend against the single male Melanochromis Johanni. It very well may claim 1/2 of the tank for itself (and cause some bruises in the process).
Thanks for the info! I'm still learning which fish can go together. I just did a head count, I only have one big red zebra left, not 100% sure but I think it's a male, he is HUGE and has a slight blue hue.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just picked up eight P. Acei for the tank, they are all about 1.5 inches long. They are schooling together, really cute! So far nothing it picking on them.

Do you think a few albino Ps. Socolofi will work with these fish? I've seen them a few times at Petsmart, I think the white would really look good in a tank of blue, yellow, and orange.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Beautiful tank BTW!

I've never kept socolofi, but I don't believe they'd be a problem.

I am a bit leery of chain store fish though, possibly there is a small place that would trade your extra fish for credit towards a sexed group of something really special?

The fryeri is a hap, and may not do well with mbuna. Your yellow labs and acei would be about the best situation I think, but still risky.

I quarantine new fish for 1-2 weeks, depending on how I feel about their origin.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, I took a chance and bought them from Petsmart, but as I understand they have all the same water and run it all through some serious filtration including a huge UV sterilizer. Every single fish in the whole place looked awesome with no dead/dying or diseased fish. And their prices were dirt cheap, I paid $6.99 for the acei. They had yellow labs the same size for $4.99, great prices.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking a few rusy cichlids would work? (iodotropheus_sprengerae)

Do you really think I can do Cynotilapia afra with the Demasoni in there?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Irish Johnny said:
Your tank looks killer. Very nice! :thumb:
Thanks for the nice comment! I went to a pet store down in Denver today and they had some C. Afra in a tank. There were two males and about eight females, all full grown. The females were shreaded and hiding in the top corners of the tank and the male was brilliant! I put my finger in front of the tank and he tried to attack it, then a female swooped down to attack my finger and the male took a bite out of her. I think C. Afras are too aggressive for my tank.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
They may have been in too tight quarters in the pets store, but still not a good sign. I would be leery of mixing them with the demasoni, look too much alike.

The last Afra I had couldn't be in the same tank as my lab sp. Hongi, it was war between those two!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Maybe Mel.Cyaneorhadbos(Mainganos) or Metriaclima callainos "pearl"? for nice contrast.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Albino socolofi will look good in that tank. As long as your staying with the mbunas. Otherwise i would probably add in a docile hap or peacock 1m 3f.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Demasoni & Hara will work... I have about 20 Demasoni & 12 Hara in my 180. Also have Acei-Ngara, Rusty, Red Zebra's & labs.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's a new video of my tank, not sure how many more fish I can get in there, it's pretty packed with my eight new Acei.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts