Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pull a couple of my tanks out of retirement and am curious about what to stock them with.

The first is a 16 gallon bow tank and the second is a 28 gallon bow tank. Both of these were used a my first tanks and since then I have moved on to bigger tanks. I really have no idea what to do with these and were curious what you all think. Nothing is really out of bounds but the largest tank I own is a 40g so these will not really be grow out tanks.

Might also post this is the tang section as that is a possibility. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I love my community tank built around my Bolivian rams. It's a larger tank (55G), but you could have a similar set up in the larger bowfront.

I can't do plants - I kill them as soon as I touch them, but I've found I can get some really nice silk ones at the hobby stores and they will survive.

What's the ph of your water?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have a 90 gallon that is setup as a SA community tank with Bolivian Rams, various cories, Cardinal Tetras, Rummynose Tetra and an assortment of other fish.

This tank is very pleasant to watch.

Mike

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ph coming out of the tap is roughly 8.0 so anything I do (except Aficans) would be done using RO water. I have never kept Bolivian Rams before but have kept their German counterparts in the past. How do you like them?

Does anyone else have any ideas, or own a tank the same size?

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I absolutely love my Bolivians. I really bought them initially just to fill a spare tank that was sitting empty. Once they matured and started exhibiting that typical Bolivian behaviour, I was hooked. I don't think I'll ever be without a tank of them again!

I've not kept the German rams, although I have been looking for some quality ones in this area.

My ph sits right at 7.8, and my Bolivians are fine it my water. They spawn constantly, and I've had good luck raising fry from them, but I do have to siphon the fry out in order to raise them due to other fish I have in the tank.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. What would be a good number to start out with. Breeding is not really an option as the only other tank I have setup right now is a 40g planted that wouldn't really have room for them. I know it is not easy to sex bolivians so any opinions.

Have any recommendation for mixing partners for both size tanks?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts