Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are about to start stocking our 150 gallon tank. We currently have about 15 fish in our 75 gallon that we're going to transfer over. We need help with our stocking options. I've heard numerous things from LFS people, but I wanted to get some hobbyist opinions.

We were thinking of going all Male Mbunas -- is that good or bad? any known issues to watch for? Their coloring? etc...

We have a couple females, but not sure if they should stay. We're also wanting to add some catfish and for sure a Lion's Cove Polit.

Right now, we have :

1 Saulosi
1 Red Empress
1 Yellow Lab
1 Acei
1 Red Zebra
1 OB Zebra
1 Trewavasae
1 Species 44 (beautiful male)
1 Melanochromis Mumbo
2 Bumblebee (1m1f)
2 Red Top Hongi (1m1f)
2 Bristlenose Plecos

What problems do you see or foresee with what we already have? The Red Empress is quite aggressive, so we'll see if he will/can hold his own.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
bmwyatt said:
My husband and I are about to start stocking our 150 gallon tank. We currently have about 15 fish in our 75 gallon that we're going to transfer over. We need help with our stocking options. I've heard numerous things from LFS people, but I wanted to get some hobbyist opinions.

We were thinking of going all Male Mbunas -- is that good or bad? any known issues to watch for? Their coloring? etc...

We have a couple females, but not sure if they should stay. We're also wanting to add some catfish and for sure a Lion's Cove Polit.

Right now, we have :

1 Saulosi
1 Red Empress
1 Yellow Lab
1 Acei
1 Red Zebra
1 OB Zebra
1 Trewavasae
1 Species 44 (beautiful male)
1 Melanochromis Mumbo
2 Bumblebee (1m1f)
2 Red Top Hongi (1m1f)
2 Bristlenose Plecos

What problems do you see or foresee with what we already have? The Red Empress is quite aggressive, so we'll see if he will/can hold his own.
All male mbuna is extremely challenging. In all male tanks, you want all of the males to look as different as possible so you can have 1 Blue Bar male, that takes out about half of the mbuna species once you have one.

The bonus of mbuna is they show color when young and you can get species where both male/females show color. The downside is the level of aggression and territoriality they show.

The downside of Haps/Peacocks is they take a long time to color up and then only the males show color. The upside is a large adult male Hap/peacock in color is very, very hard to beat. Also, the all-male Hap/Peacock Level of aggression will tend to be much lower than the mbuna counterpart.

These two reasons are why most people end up going all male hap/peacock then maybe trying some mbuna once they have large Hap/Peacocks established.

Here is a picture of a large male Protomelas sp. "Spilonotus Tanzania" (Liuli) with sub-adult Yellow labs. Can you pick the show fish out? Again, this is a reason most people go the Hap/peacock route if they decide to try all male.

No females at all in an all male tank!

Have a quarantine timeout re-home tank ready to setup at all times. If a male decided to go hyper-aggressive he may need a new home, and usually he will be your favorite. Be aware, that is a downside in that you can't be to attached to any one fish, you work at finding peace however you can achieve it with all male.

All in all, I find it very rewarding.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for you post! We've thought about going the Hap/Peacock route, but we thought the Mbuna had tons of personality.

If we were to add females for the males we already have, how many per/male would you add?

·
Super Moderator
40,697 Posts
If your tank is 72" you would want to limit to 5-7 species for mixed-gender groups. And that is assuming you do not choose aggressive species like crabro (bumblebee), auratus, kenyi, etc. With aggressive species the number for a 72" tank is more like 3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.