Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all on the cichlid forum...

Was wondering if I can get some help. I am planning to give a friend some cichlids from my tank as they are breeding like crazy, and the aggression between males for the females have been nuts lately... especially the red x red zebra, and blue cobalts.

This is my list it is quite long so, please be patient with me.. Thanks in advance

I have

1 Venustus (female)
2 red x red zebras( one female and 1 male) and 6-8 babies
2 kenyii, (male and female) the female has been cross breeding with my red x red zebra
1 maleiri
1 leleupi
5 cobalts powder blue (2 males and 3 females
1 red empress ( which by the way chases the venutus for some reason)
1 hap ahli
1 rusty
1 pseudo elongatus ( which chases the above rusty)
1 bumblebee (larges of the whole lot, close to 3.5 inches)
2 hap 44's (possibly two males or maybe male and female)
1 yellow lab
2 ob peacocks ( 1 male and 1 female) the male ob peacock goes after my sunshine peacock as well as my ngara flameback) from time to time
1 sunshine peacock
1 ngara flameback
3 calvuses 2 black and white, one gold
3 upside down syno cats
1 gold algae eater
1 disto sexfasiatus ( juvie)

I believe thats everyone... I have quite the stock list here I am sure, and I hope not to make too many upset on here with my choices , as I was not too famialiar and become more so as I read more and more on here....

My tank is a 150 gal tall, 48" long with a lot of pumice stone that allows the full height of the aquarium to be used by mbunas as well as all cave dwelling fish. I have a fluval fx5 as well as an eheim 2028, plus 4 aqua clear 110 submersible pumps for water movement.

I was planning to get rid of the female cobalt mbunas, as well as the female kenii, the sunshine peacock, the female ob peacock, as well as the female red x red zebra. My question is, is that the best choice? Well that reduce male mbuna aggression? As well as my male ob peacock's aggression?

Let me know what anyone thinks... So far my tank has been good, with some bumps an bruises from time to time but nothing too serious.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That male kenyi will get VERY agitated at not having females.
I would remove both.

Unless you're doing an all-male tank (hard to pull off with mbuna AND peacocks, et.al) I would leave the female cobalts

Breeding good... just need to decide what to do with the fry (let'm spit and most will get 'et).

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I honestly don't see this tank lasting a year.

I don't have any Tropheus but from what I've read their diet & activity/requirements will NOT mix well with your other tank mates.

What you have will probably work for 6 months but I suspect you're going to start having fatalities or sickness (brought on by) from stress.

I really hope it works for you, but given the completely random stocking - it's unlikely.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the moment they have been in my tank for about a year now, I got most them at about and1.5 inches. I watch them every day, do not see too much aggression out of the ordinary, just picks to say get out of the way, but nothing to show continual harassement. I am concerned at the moment about my sunshine peacock, but the moorii's seems to be fine, eats normally every day, give them a good cichlid food with algae pellets(33-35% protein). I have experienced bloat once before in my tank, treated them and it has been fine ever since. I was doing water changes once every 15 days, but now that I am once every 7-10 days it has been fine. It was a moori as well that became ill.

Thanks for your input, is there anything that you could suggest that I do to alter my choice of cichlids to make it successful? Which ones do you think that I sould be more concerned about, and I will make the necessary changes. By the way, my cobalts are now breeding as well as my red by red, the calvus are interesting to watch as the male and female cobalt did their thing, the calvuses just hung around the pair of them to catch any eggs that do not make it to the females mouth.

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
It would be important to know which are your favorites so the tank could be built around them. This would work, and you could add a bunch more haps:

1 maleiri
1 hap ahli
1 hap 44
1 yellow lab
1 ob peacock
1 sunshine peacock
1 ngara flameback
3 upside down syno cats

1 - 6 of 6 Posts