Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Need some truth about fish sizes

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  TheFishGuy 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i plan on setting up a 75 gallon central american cichlid tank and adding a tire track eel and a clown knife. Now i've been getting different sizes for these two fish. First let me show you the list

1 Texas cichlid
1 Jackm Dempsey
2 convicts
1 pictus cat
1 clown knife
1 tire track eel

Some websites say that tire track eels only grow 2 1/2 feet some websites say trhey grow to 3 or 4 feet! Ditto with clown knives. Some people say clown knives only grow eighteen inches some websites say they grow 3 or 4 feet! I fanybody has had experience keeping thses fish pleaze give me some feed back.

Oh and by people I mean books, interntet, etc.

#3 ·
Even if the CL only got 18"... a 75 gal is too small for an 18" fish... but I've seen several CL's well over 18"...

The same principal applies to the Tire Track Eel... even if it "only" gets 2.5'... it's still too big for a 75 gal...

Give the Texas, Dempsey and Con time to grow up... these 3 fish will easily fill a 75 gal when they are adults. Giving your tank that full look with young fish will either force you to buy more tanks later on or improperly house your fish... which causes stress... which results in poor coloration, skittish behavior and an all around unattractive fish... It's better to leave the tank lightly stocked with Juvis and let them grow into the tank...

#5 ·
ok.. now i have a tire track eel.. I thought about that when i bought him so far he is only 8 inch. but is mostly in hiding either dug up in the sand or in driftwood.. Now they are very slow growers now i mean VERY i got him about 4 months ago and he hasnt grown i dont know why.. i feed him but when he gets too big for my tank he is going in my pond im bulding but i highly doubt you will have a problem.. kind of like clown loaches they get big but in a very loing time.. just my opinion..
Thanks
Victor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.