Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and new to keeping African cichlids! I have a 105 gallon Malawi tank. I have one pleco 6 butterflys and 3 bengas. I have heard that stocking multiple males of the same species will result in alot of fighting. Is this true or am I fine to keep stocking in this manner? Also some ideas on what else to stock would be great! I plan on adding another 10 or so fish.
Tank information
105 gallon 4 feet across 3 feet tall and 18 inch's deep.
100 gallon canister filter
60 gallon HOB filter
No plants only rock with a mix of sand and gravel substrate.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
In a 48" tank I like 12 males. It is true that peacocks that look alike tend to fight or at least not all of them will color to their best potential. But if you have 9 brilliant fish and no chasing, don't change a thing. How long have they been in the tank? What are their sizes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is some chasing but nothing serious so far there are no bitten fins and it only last for a second or 2. The fish are all around 1 1/2 to 2 inchs. I have had the bengas in for 2 weeks and the butterflys in for 1 week. Thank you for for knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
It's hard to tell if they are males at that size. Could they be hormone? I would expect you will have aggression and loss of color within a year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the 6 butterflys show signs of being males and are showing some color but as you said it is very hard to tell. Im not sure what hormone is ? what will the increased aggression and loss of color come from? being all the same species?

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Yes. Each male wants to claim a 3 foot territory and drive away competitors.

Hormoned food would make a juvenile look like a male, and then wear off over time and possibly harm the health of the fish long term.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see. the food im feeding them doesn't mention anything about hormones but that very well could be the case ill research what im feeding them some more and find out. as far as having the same species in the tank would it be possible to Dillute them or do i need to rehome most of my fish before they start killing each other and then start adding the different species?. Im all ears and i really appreciate all the help!

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
If you have only had them for a week or two, it would have been the breeder that hormoned them.

All male tanks are challenging. Best odds for success would be to have only one of each peacock.

Would you consider a mixed gender tank? You could keep one peacock species or the other and shoot for 1m:4f, and then add some groups of haps or yellow labs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is good news.

Having mixed gender isnt an issue for me. I originally wanted to have a mix of peacocks and haps.

so should my next course of action be to wait and see whats male and whats female and move from there and pick either the Bengas or the butterflys to keep and then add females to that group?

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
I would probably rehome either the bengas or the butterflys now since it is hard to identify the separate species. Peacocks crossbreed so you may want one species per tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I'll do do then I'll move the bengas out into my hospital tank for the moment. then should I keep only one of the butterflys and re-home the rest or keep the group ?

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
If you want females keep the group and see what ratio you end up with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts