Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, need some help with ideas of what kind of rocks would look good in my tank.

It's a black trim tank w/black stand and canopy. So I went with black sand and a black 3D background.

The stock is/will be SA/CA cichlids (currently stocking now but doing so slowly).

I have a few river rocks in there now, and I'm torn about how they look, I was thinking about some black slate but would that be too much black? Or maybe I just go to a landscaping place and get a few bigger rocks/mini boulders?

I do have some driftwood - Mopani (Pleco loves this stuff) which I am planning on keeping in there for her.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think the river rock would look good, but that's just me.

Black slate would be interesting, leaving the only color in your tank as your fish. The success would depend on your stocking, it could look unbelievably great, or terrible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RRasco said:
CMN said:
Or maybe I just go to a landscaping place and get a few bigger rocks/mini boulders?
This.
Yeah I have two smaller rock features but I'm just not feeling it ya know? Below is a pic of my tank, and there are some features I like but it's just not "there" yet. I don't know how to describe it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I would go with something lighter to add contrast to the tank. THR would work great, but I also like unique rocks, everyone has holey rock. Including me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think before you spend the money on rocks finalize what you want you stock list to be. Are you gonna need big caves for larger fish to feel at home or some smaller cichlids? This will help you decide.
Edit: also what size is that tank? Looks like a 55 or possibly a 75? If you go with a fish that can get over 8in you have to make sure the fish would be able to turn around comfortably.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at THR last night and for how much I would need it would be rather expensive to have it shipped up to MN from TX.

As far as stock goes I'm not sure and haven't finished stocking as I'm going to try the overstocked method for CA/SAs and then thin where needed. So I'm going around to LFS and looking online to try to find a mix that has the potential to work - meaning I'm not going to stick a Faesta, RD, Midas, FH and a Jag in the tank and hope for the best.

The main problem (of course) is that each fish has it's own temperament that could go against the grain for what the species is known for - you hear this all the time about "I'm sorry to hear your X fish is on a killing rampage, mine lives peacefully with all others just fine". But yeah, stocking all juvies and hoping that "growing up/out" together will help with this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll hit up some landscaping places this weekend, see if I can't find any lace rock or slate. Having some issues coming up with some SA fish in this SA/CA community setup that could work. Currently housing 1 GT, 1 Nic, 1 Sev, 1 Regani and 1 JD for cichlids. For other fish to put in with them all I can think of are more CAs - Sal, Carpintis, Thorichthys. Guess I could try another Sev for SA but coming to a dead end beyond that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, redid my tank today, let me know what you guys think verse the earlier pic (how the tank was).

Sorry for the bad pic, glare during the day and all.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If that's the look you're going for, then I think it's perfect. The only person you need to please is yourself; and the fish, who are not persons :thumb:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I feel your pain! I have a 90 gal bow front (tall 48x28) that will be an african tank.
Haven't started yet cause I can't get a picture in my minds eye what I want it to look like.
I've looked at hundreds of tanks on line, rocks, driftwood, backrounds, and so far, I'm like you, 'just not feeling it yet'
BUT, here is what I'm thinking;
Black Tahiti moon sand (maybe with some crushed coral, for ph)

Then offset this backround with real THR.
Then plastic plants.

One suggestion- One thing I think you can do is add some very tall plants

1 - 14 of 14 Posts