Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I have several questions. I know that I put the cart before the horse in this case so now I need some help. I am buying a 125 used tank, filters and stand this weekend. I have already bought and paid for a juvenile group of moops. The tropheus are still at the sellers house as is the tank. The tank is still set up and running at the sellers house. It will take me approximately two hours to get it home. My questions are, do you think the filters will still be "alive" by the time the tank is broke down and brought to my house which is again, approx. 2 hours away? There are 3 HOB filters. I will receive the fish about 3 days later. Do you think it would be safe to add them to this tank? I also have a well cycled 55 gallon tank that contains some juvenile cyps. letosoma utina, 6 juvenile alto. calvus and 3 lamp. occelotus gold.
Would I be better off putting the tropheus in the 55 and putting something else in the 125 until a possible cycle takes place? I know I should have waited on the fish, but they were a very good price. There are 18 of them about an inch or better. I know, dumb,dumb, dumb! Thanks in advance, Doodle

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Question 1:

I have torn down tanks, moved them across Texas, set-them up, and not lost a fish. All I did to the media was bag it up and keep it moist by putting the media in bag partially in water and inflated the bags with air. I also put the media in a cooler, so that no direct heat/sunlight would get to them. I tranported it in van that had AC.

I do not think 4-6 hours will be any issue as long as you take care of the media.

Question 2 :
Anytime you setup a new tank or move one, there is some risk. I would monitor for the first 3 days for Nitrites and have something on hand to take care of that or atleast be prepared for daily waterchange.

BE aware of this...if the tank your tearing down has a sand substrate and then you move it and set it up again, there will be issues if the sand was not clean very well prior to the move.

Question 3 :
I think putting them into the 125 would be better, than putting 18 1.5" guys in a 55 with juvinile cyps, calvus, and lamps. Are the lamps juvinile or adult? might be different if they are juvinile also.

Some advice :
anytime you get new Tropheus have on hand the same food they are eating now, and have either CLOUT of METRO should bloat occur. Being these are 1.5" guys they should be in good shape. Also get the pH of the water they are in now, and make sure your aquarium is not too far off within 0.5 so not to shock them as well.

Keep lights off for the first 24 hours, and take it easy on the feedings for first couple days.

Hope this helps...

Geoff

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Geoff!
It helps alot. I'll be putting in a new substrate since the current one is gravel. So, I don't think
I'll have to worry about that. I'm off for the next 2 weeks so if daily water changes is what it takes so be it. I used to have discus, so no stranger to daily water changes! Thank you for answering all my questions. I feel better about getting the fish now. Doodle

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Sound advice from geoff, I can't stress enough, the importance of getting some of the food they are currently eating. :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts