Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went and got this 20g long today from a guy I met along with 12 Yellow Lab (Fry up to 4.5 inches) with the intentions of putting the tank under my my 75g in the stand, but its too long and can't get it in the door opening of the stand. So I have put in on this built in shelf but it isnt deep enough to put the HOB filter on the back of tank.

SO here is where the creativity comes in. I got a glass top and light with it but with the filter on side of the tank I cant put the glass top on it so I cant put the light on the tank. I need to come up with a solution to be able to get my light on the tank, at least until I get a stand made for this one and put it in the kids room or find a 10g tank.

Here is how I have it setup now. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would take the glass top to a glass shop and have them cut it down an inch or two so it will fit with the filter set up on the end. Is there another shelf above the tank? If so you could hang the light from the bottom of the shelf above

·
Registered
355 Posts
shellies215 said:
I would take the glass top to a glass shop and have them cut it down an inch or two so it will fit with the filter set up on the end. Is there another shelf above the tank? If so you could hang the light from the bottom of the shelf above
This was going to be my suggestion also lol. O and make it a shell dweller tank if you dont already have one!!! :)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about getting the glass trimmed but since it will not be supported on both ends it will fold and fall into the tank. So I am thinking egg crate will be the way to go.

No I don't have shellie tank. This is going to be my fry/grow out tank for any that I would like to keep. Gonna be getting a smaller one that will fit in tank stand in the future though, so shellie tank is a good idea for this one after I go get that smaller one.

Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you were going to get the glass cut, you could get a strip of glass maybe 2"x11.6" and silicone it under the lip that the top sits on (from front to back) this would keep it from folding in to the tank.
I am suggesting this because if I don't keep good top on my tanks, I have a lot of evaporation. If you don't care about that, I don't see any problem with the eggcrate.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just flip it around and put the HOB in the front making it a HOF. Then buy a sponge filter and transtion out of the HOB completely.

For a fry tank you probably want a sponge filter anyway.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
dotbomb said:
Just flip it around and put the HOB in the front making it a HOF. Then buy a sponge filter and transtion out of the HOB completely.

For a fry tank you probably want a sponge filter anyway.
best suggestion imo

·
Registered
320 Posts
Go to Lowes and have a piece of glass cut. For that size tank it would probobly cost under $10. I get glass cut for my aquarium lids all the time. All you have to do is measure how big you want your lid. Subtract a 1/4 inch from your measurements because you don't want the lid to fit too tight or it might not fit at all.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the egg crate idea for now. Just cut a peice of egg crate to cover the entire top minus about 3 inches for the filter to sit on the side. I cant really do the HOF idea cause it is about flush now on the shelf with the counter top in front of it. So the filter would be hanging out in the way while using the counter space. I think I have found a 15g from my buddy for free so gonna use that under my stand for fry tank, and set this 20g long up in the kids room on a stand so they can have a tank for themselves. Of course I will be taking care of it. But I will tell my GF it is for the kids :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts