Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan was to turn my 4'x13"x12" tank into a saulosi tank. I've been planning this for about a month, getting everything ready, water just right etc.

The reason I chose saulosi was because in one species that only got 4" I got bright colors with both the male and female. Plus I'm new to cichlids (not fish, I have a 6 gal and 12 gal salt water tank) and wanted to play it safe. I was going to do 2 males and 8 females.

So when I called the supplier, we started talking and he told me I could mix it up and put several other kinds of fish like red zebras, labs, and others I can't remember. He didn't want to change my mind, but if I wanted I could have several different colors and make it real pretty. He said he could help me pick some out and that I wanted about 15-20 fish to deal with aggression.

Sounds good, but I don't know. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I also don't know if he's trying to sell me more fish or what.

Any ideas, suggestions?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The tank would be ok with Labs, but Red Zebras would be too aggressive.... can't comment on the others, given you can't recall what they are, but there are few mbuna I would consider putting in a tank of this size.

Your Ps. saulosi idea was a good one from the beginning.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
The saulosi species tank is a tried and true solution for a smaller-end mbuna tank. It would also be a great introductory tank to mbuna. And you really can't beat the color combination for a single species. There are some other species that would be a lot more risky in this tank size - maybe someone has gotten it to work, but not everyone.

If he recommended any species from the Melanochromis genus - I'd bet that he's not looking out for the long-term success of your tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I would not let a vendor choose my stock mix, no offense to any vendors. I trust them to choose the individual fish...but I want to choose my species.

Would you want to keep the saulosi and add one species?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
For 2 species, you could do Saulosi and Rusties. That would be nice. They both stay on the smaller side. I'd shoot for 1M, 4 -5F of each(8-10 adult fish).

But a 20 fish of different species in a 35ish gallon tank is asking for a bloodbath, IMO. It sounds like he might have some extra males to sell you for a "real nice tank"!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for answering. My gut feeling was to stay with the saulosi, but originally I did want more combinations. But I think I will stick with just the salousi. I think just doing them in this tank is a little risk, and I want my tank to work for a very long time, not just look good right now. (He did suggest some from the melanochromis genus).

The saoulsi are hard to get. It seems I am going to have to wait even longer than I thought. He had 13 on Friday and by Monday he only had 5. I want to get 15 (1-2") then weed them down to 2 males and 8 female. Now I have to wait for another order to come in.

Oh well,

thanks again. :)

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
You can always look online at the CF Sponsers...It's often less expensive, even with shipping, then the LFS.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eeztropheus said:
Floridagirl said:
You can always look online at the CF Sponsers...It's often less expensive, even with shipping, then the LFS.
+1 make sure you order from someone with a good rep.
I have looked everywhere. And it was one of the sponsors that I did call that started this thread. I have found 2 of the sponsors that sell the saulosi. One had 14, now only has 5 and the other has been out for a month and thinks it will be another month for more to come in.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
I would not let a vendor choose my stock mix, no offense to any vendors. I trust them to choose the individual fish...but I want to choose my species.

Would you want to keep the saulosi and add one species?
I have only found one place that has the saulosi in stock and he only has 5. The chances of them being 1 male and 4 female are almost impossible. My husband and I both don't really want to run the tank for another month to wait for more saulosi. (It has already been running about 3 weeks with no fish in it).

So I don't know what to do. If I did get those 5 saulosi and one other species, what would you suggest?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.