Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a water change in my 20 long monday. I can't remember if I turned the canister back on or not, but just a minute ago I realized it was off, I could have accidently knocked the plug out earlier, but I'd be willing to bet that It has been unplugged since monday afternoon.

now the tank was originally run on sponges, which are still running, so the tank has been fine since monday, but is there something wrong with the water and media inside the canister?

the canister is much newer on the tank than the sponges so it may not have a lot of bacteria in it

·
Registered
656 Posts
some of the bacteria in the canister may have died off, but I would just turn it back on. I had an impeller break on a canister, and didn't notice for a few days, put a new impeller in and it started pumping again with no ill effects.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I would drain the water in the canister and refill before turning back on, depending on how it smells in there, I might rinse everything off as well. I know I've read something on this very topic and they stated matter of factly not to just turn it back on for fear of releasing toxins.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Don't just turn it back on! Rinse it out and give the media a light rinse too. Then refill and turn it back on. It's probably gone anoxic and could be loaded with nasties like nitrite, etc.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would definitely not want that in my tank. After four days, there is apt to be bad stuff growing in there. Bacteria likes a warm dark spot out of the main stream to grow. That closed canister fits perfectly. I am still fighting to get rid of a bug that I put in my tank by moving sand from a tank that had been shut down with about two inches of water left. I've lost one dither and may lose a breeding femal, just for my lack of caution.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
For the 2 minutes it takes to unhook it, empty it out, and give it a quick rinse in dechlor water I wouldnt chance it.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
No good reason to not rinse it out. Why do you not want to? I'm not suggesting power wash. Rinse all in dechlorinated water. Get rid of denitrification by products, if there are any while saving any good bacteria that are left.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh because I just out of reflex plugged it in the second I noticed it was off, so it was running for a bit before I posted, so it's more of me being worried that i just messed up my tank than not wanting to do it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts